1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clean your engines anymore?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johnnu, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    YUP, I'm an old street racer from the '60's. Now have a 2011 Prius IV and thought it would be fun to see what kind of answers I would get about: How do you clean the engine in a Prius?
    We used to spray GUNK on our V-8's, then hose them off with LOTS of water and then run them to dry off the excess water. HOW NOW ????

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A clean engine is a happy engine. But the owner's manual on the C says it is fraught with danger.

I used to keep all mine squeaky clean, but not any more since there isn't anything there to really show off any more. "Wow! Those are AWESOME covers, rubber hoses, and pipes! Sweeeet!"

My motorcycles and mowers still get the treatment, though.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yours has an engine?

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ever since the 2000's, I quit cleaning engines. First of they don't leak and have a greasy mess any more. Second, there are way too many sensors, wiring, etc. A cleaning would probably do more harm than good.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hosing toxic hydrocarbons into nearby streams is just something I don't want to do. Same thing for those intake manifold cleaning services: just pumping raw fuel into the atmosphere.

I'd suggest to just brush and vacuum if you want, use a brush to help loosen the dust, then switch to blow to knock leaves and junk out of the corners.

alekska likes this.
  6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer used Gunk on my engine this spring when they did the IM T-SB. Its clean but looks old now. :(

7. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use soap and water on my engine. All of the electrical connections are sealed so need to worry about getting them wet. I would never use a power washer on the engine but a garden hose is fine.

I have been doing this for over 3 years now and not one problem!

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in the day- I used to use Gunk Foaming spray periodically on my cars, but I wouldn't dare use anything on today's engines with their complex wiring, sensors, etc... unless it was a real mess. The Gem III Prius has under body covers too- so it seems to keep the engine compartment quite clean without any user intervention.
    And like Jonny Zero mentioned above "they don't leak and have a greasy mess any more".

9. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES............ do miss those greasy BIG V-8's with lots of carbs :)

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today's wiring, sensors and connectors are far better sealed than they used to be. Just don't go overboard with high pressure.

Since modern engines don't normally get oily anymore, a soaking with mild detergent and gentle rinse does a good job if you are so inclined.

That said, my Gen III is 2 years old and the engine hasn't been washed yet. It's not very dirty either.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody hoses down engines anymore. To much electronics and cops are easily damaged. They use steam now if you want a professional detail. Have for years.
    I like my engine greasy. No rust anywhere.