1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cleaned EGR cooler and egr valve, exhaust leak now?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by laxias, Sep 29, 2021.

1. laxias

laxias New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I've found the nuts that attach the intercooler to the EGR valve and exhaust manifold, as those are listed as 'single use only', and the part numbers for the following joints:

Manifold to intercooler

intercooler to EGR valve

EGR valve elbow to pipe extension

Pipe extension to intake manifold

However, I took the EGR valve to EGR valve elbow connector apart during cleaning everything, and am not sure where to get that gasket; if I'm counting right, there's a total of 5 gaskets involved, but I can only find the four listed. :(

Are there any other single use parts involved?
    The nuts mentioned seem to be for the intercooler connection? I'm not sure why they're single use, but they feel like aluminum nuts, and do have their own part number...Are they actually different dimension-wise? Does it matter which end of the intercooler each goes?
    (parts 90179-08101 and 900177-08003)

The smell of exhaust is fairly obvious, and it sounds like there's a 'leak' somewhere in the connection chain.
    Are there any gaskets to avoid getting or using, brandwise, or are all the ones off rockauto good to use?

Did I bork up the valve? _is_ there a line item gasket to replace for it? What are the torque specs for that particular joint?

I can't really find it listed as a separated part any where when I look currently, just the combo of EGR valve and elbow which attaches to the longer pipe after.

Thanks!

nate358 likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are these EBay listings, salvage items? Because the EGR pipe, valve and cooler ARE available separately, as new items.

I would only change the pliable gaskets on the intake manifold, and even then only if they seem flattened or dried out. The metal gaskets on the EGR components I'd reuse, unless they're obviously bent or damaged.

Doing a tally of gaskets in my head:

Intake manifold to EGR pipe: one pliable, small O-ring style gasket, orange
    Intake manifold to throttle body: one pliable, O-ring style gasket, black
    Intake manifold to engine: one pliable, multi-opening style gasket, orange
    EGR pipe to EGR valve: metallic gasket with clips
    EGR valve to EGR cooler: metallic gasket with clips
    EGR cooler to exhaust manifold: metallic gasket, no clips, easy to drop

This page has a lot, if not all, the parts no's and info:

Exhaust gas recirculation system for Toyota Prius 3 generation 01.2009 - 11.2011 - Toyota Car & Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

#2 Mendel Leisk, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I reused all nuts, studs, bolts, and metal gaskets with no leakage following reassembly.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good write up, but you are missing one metal gasket... There is an elbow attached to the egr valve. If you look online to buy a new egr valve, the elbow comes attached with the valve. I have looked at the repair manual and can't find any info on torque specs or that the elbow can even be removed from the valve. I have looked on Toyota parts pages and can not find the part number for this gasket. I bought all the gaskets from Rockauto originally just to do the Egr cleaning... Then I found out my head gasket was already blown and bought the Head Gasket gasket kit from Toyota and I still do not have this gasket. I will include a photo of the gasket below. If anyone knows this part number or where one can buy this gasket... Let me know.

One thing I would like to know is the quality difference in gaskets from the 3D metallic cardboardish Fel-Pro gaskets vs the stamped metal gasket from Toyota and Mahle.

I ended up installing the Fel-Pro Head Gasket as it seemed of higher quality than the Toyota Head Gasket because it was the Toyota Head Gasket that failed... So why not try the Fel-Pro out... What's that saying? The definition of inanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome... I mostly got the Toyota Gasket kit for all the gaskets I might be missing.. And low and behold.... I'm still missing this gasket! IMG_20220715_215034__01.jpeg IMG_20220715_215240.jpeg

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ugh, flakey memory and 5 years since I was in there: you’re right.

you’re thinking to replace that gasket, the one in your hand? It looks pristine, fugedaboutit?

for the bolts between that elbow and valve, I agree: Toyota seems to have missed a torque spec. I would use 15 foot/pounds (which I likely did too), same as the rest.

Attached Files:

6. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I just wasted way to much time trying to track down that gasket. Thank God I didn't throw it away accidentally. I went to a Toyota dealership parts department to try to have them find it... They couldn't. I went to an auto parts store and had them look at about 14 gaskets that looked to be the correct shape, but none were the correct size.

From what I can see... The only way to get that gasket is to get a used or new EGR Valve... Which I think is ridiculous!

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like Toyota deems the EGR valve is an “assembly”, the valve proper, the elbow, the gasket and connecting bolts: all one “part”. Frustrating if you lose/damage little bits of it.

is there some damage on the current gasket?

8. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My original gasket has some damage on the edge and is a bit flattened out. I will try the original out.

I did find a gasket that in a pinch could work. The holes line up, but the main hole is slightly smaller than the original. I lined the gasket up with the parts and the smaller hole does not seem to block anything.

It is of the composite type of EGR gasket from Fel-Pro 70961 which works on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Base L4 2.4L 2RZ-FE . The Mahle version appears to make a graphite gasket for that model and year.... So a metal version of this gasket is yet to be determined.

Please see the photos below to compare the gasket with the original. IMG_20220716_201202.jpeg IMG_20220716_201329.jpeg

9. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    15 ft-lbs is too much! I just felt one of the bolts strip. I think the 15ft-lbs is for 12mm bolts.. These are 10mm bolts. It feels tight still, but If it leaks... looks like I'll be buying a new valve and a new gasket will be on it... Silver lining...

10. nate358

nate358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the other 10mm bolt on the assembly, 7ft-lbs is what they call for.

11. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    nate358 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ugh yeah: there are both 15 and 7 values in what I attached. The pipe to valve for example, is 7. And of course, they omit showing value for the “internal” bolted connection of the valve. Sorry. :(

13. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you did strip it’s very possible to fix that. If you have the money buy the egr kit I linked which will have the valve and all the gaskets. Next time don’t worry about torquing it down to spec. Just get it nice and snug and you’ll be fine. I did not torque anything other than the IM during my egr work. And everything has been good for 18k miles.

Mendel Leisk likes this.