1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaned intake manifold. Cylinder 1 port pics look bad. Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CT dual Prii owner, May 13, 2017.

1. CT dual Prii owner

CT dual Prii owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had recent misfire codes, and inconsistent sputtering. Sometimes at start-up, other times when accelerating. I read a bunch of threads suggetsing a good cleaning of the EGR system, throttle body, and IM might help. I looked into the engine intake with the intake manifold off and three of my cylinders were very clean, but #1 looked wrong. My oil level is clean and steady, but I am losing coolant. Head gasket I guess, but would cylinder #1 look like this at the intake if coolant was slow leaking into #1 at the head gasket? 1st picture is cylinder 1 and the other clean picture could be any of the other 3. Head Gasket, or could coolant get here from the EGR circuit? Any help is appreciated. I couldn't find this exactly covered anywhere else and besides, everybody likes a "what's wrong with this picture" puzzle. Cylinder 1.jpg Cylinders 2, 3, 4,.png

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how did you number the cylinders?
    did you clean the EGR ports in the intake manifold?

3. CT dual Prii owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the dirty looking intake port is nearest passenger side facing car. Pretty sure the #1 was toward passenger side from the front. Three right of that look clean like the other image. I didn't know to clean the small EGR ports on the intake manifold. The first posts/videos I saw on the subject only showed the EGR tube and main port. I'll clean those and see what happens. I don't understand the coolant loss if its a blocked EGR port. Can it be?

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0060.JPG The intake plenum needs to be cleaned as well. The x4 small holes were clogged with carbon. Walnut shell blasting will get that port 100% clean to the valves.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, so the dirty intake port was at the cylinder furthest to the left side, as you stand facing the front of the car? Or you can't remember?? (n)

The EGR pipe feeds in at the drivers side of the intake manifold, fwiw.

If your coolant level in reservoir is steadily dropping that's not good. How fast?

Also: how many miles on it?

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are loosing coolant, I would pull all the spark plugs and look inside each cylinder for wetness. White smoke coming out of tailpipe?
    Blownhead gasket is what you might have. Be careful, coolant leaking into the cylinder is what bent my rod.
    If your egr cooler is leaking coolant internally, you would see coolant in the intake plenum and your engine would be eating it that way.
    Coolant around the engine or ground would be exterior leak of course.

7. CT dual Prii owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Its definitely the port closest to passenger side facing the car. 169K miles. It lost a half gallon of coolant over a month. I drive 150 miles a day. No white smoke at all and no puddles or external evidence of a leak that I've found. First time it happened I drove two hours with no issues at all and when I restarted the car 6 hours later it started rough and misfired since. I'll clean the small egr ports better and see if its different. Thanks

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's the passenger side no matter which direction you face.

If you're losing coolant like that, you better get it fixed. You're risking the same complete engine rebuild described in the other thread. Water in or on a spark plug is probably just a valve cover gasket; a far simpler job than head gasket.

The carbon on the passenger side cylinder intake doesn't concern me much, but if you still have it open, you can remove most/all of it using throttle body cleaner that's soaked onto a rag. When you have the manifold off, you should have cotton rags stuffed into all of the engine intake ports. If a screw or any tiny bit of metal falls into one of those intake ports, you will need to use any means necessary to remove it, or the engine will likely be ruined. Hence, plug the openings with rags.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. OP of that thread found bent piston arm, likely due to cylinder filling with (uncompressible) coolant. I believe it's referred to as hydro-lock?

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k | PriusChat