1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaned up my headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by timmyjane, Apr 20, 2017.

1. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My driver's side headlight was completely yellowed over and the passenger was about 50% yellowed. It was yellowed from the top but oddly the area over the actual headlight was almost totally clear. My wife has been commenting on how bad they looked so I have been considering replacing them. That is fairly cost prohibitive.

Tonight my brother came over to change his brakes so I while I was giving him moral support I decided to see what I could do with my lights.

I grabbed some 500 and 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper and went to town on them. Sanded first with the 500 grit and poured some water over the light a few times while sanding and then did the same with the 1000. I wasn't being easy with the paper and put a lot of elbow grease into it. Once I cleaned and dried them they were pretty hazy but not yellow.

Looked in the cabinet and grabbed some heavy compound and some polishing compound and lastly some polish. Hit the lights with the heavy compound followed by the polishing compound. Both were applied with a shop cloth. I tried with a microfiber cloth but that didn't seem to work. Lastly I used a wax pad to apply the polish and wiped clean with a microfiber.

I'm pleased to announce that the headlights look like new. Its amazing the difference in the looks of the car with clear headlights. Night and day difference.

Merkey likes this.
  2. noah.wass

noah.wass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have pictures of the before and after? I'm curious how long the results will last. I purchased a turtle kit about 6 months ago. Headlights looked good for a few months and are now back to hazy.

Nexus 5X ?

3. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I didn't take any pics. I was thinking that I should have after I saw the results.
    I have been reading a little bit and there seems to be a sealer that should be applied to restore the UV protectant that we took off doing the restore. Some folks have used Polyurethane thinned with mineral spirits and applied with a foam brush to seal them.
    I'm going to see what I come up with. Might have some poly in the garage cabinet. Too bad I cant use spray paint b/c I think we have 30+ cans in that cabinet.

4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a video:

Merkey likes this.
  5. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice video. Next trip to Home Depot I know what Ill be getting.

Merkey likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you could use spray paint if 1) you remove the headlight assemblies or 2) mask the surrounding painted area first.

8. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cleaned the old headlight lamp lens with Brasso metal polishing compound (available at Home Depot). Typical CD scratch remover compound works too. Tape off the painted area is a must. Utilizing an electric orbital polisher/sander can make the job fast and effortless. Now these plastic lens look brand new.

timmyjane likes this.
  9. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clear coat didn't work so well. Kind of looks like crap. Going to try and wet sand. I think 3m hedlight polish would have been a better bet.

10. skew

skew Junior Member

I have had great success with Sylvania headlight restoration kit. The kits are around $20 seems to last great.

I did our Vibe about a year ago it was so hazed over you couldn't even see the bulbs. It is still clear as a new set of head lights after a year

20170425_124337.jpg

I did our 04' Prius last weekend they look new again best $20 you can spend. But it does take about 30 mins of elbow grease and 4-6 hours for the UV sealer to cure.

20170425_124353.jpg 20170425_124347.jpg

noah.wass likes this.
  11. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice! I tried to sand off all the clear coat today and re do mine. They look better but I think some of my plastic was too far gone to make perfect again. After long and careful consideration I have determined that clear coat from a can on headlights is a bad idea.