1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning a catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by blairsie, Jan 21, 2022.

1. blairsie

blairsie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the opportunity to buy a cat, among other things, off a 2012 being scrapped. I don’t know much about it yet. I was wondering if it was possible to clean off the interior matrixes without damaging them. Would I have to cut them off the assembly and weld it all back together? Would the varied solvents destroy the metals within? Is it worth the effort? I don’t know much of anything about the car being scrapped yet, just started an email conversation with the owner.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's basically a honeycomb ceramic that the materials are embedded in... There's plenty of YouTube videos of different cat soaking recipes, as well as some ideas on PriusChat. Once you research enough options to know you read nearly all the ideas available think critically about what seems smart and what seems stupid, then update this post with your results so we can learn more.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  3. PriusPaddler

PriusPaddler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... It's the worst thing about PriusChat. People who start a brand new thread to ask a question and then they vanish, never to be heard from again. It can make us feel like we're wasting our time...