1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cleaning battery terminals help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ana Hernandez, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Ana Hernandez

Ana Hernandez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what did you use to clean the battery terminals?

2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Presumably this question is for the 12 volt aux battery and not the HV battery. For the 12 volt aux. battery use baking soda, warm water and an old tooth brush. Or you can buy a battery post cleaning brush at an auto parts store, Harbor Freight, etc.

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Second the battery post cleaning brush. At most, once, halfway through a battery's lifespan, just pull it out, clean the posts, and the cable clamps, reinstall. In a pinch you can use a wire brush and/or fine sandpaper. Or don't, probably won't make much difference, lol.

One thing when using abrasive, be cognisant you're producing lead dust, try to segregate your tools, rags, don't inhale or ingest.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they are clean metal, with no white build up, there's no need to clean them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never seen much point to buttering up the posts with grease either. Makes a mess. Also, when you get a new car, they don't seem to apply grease at the factory, they're clean.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I do:

1) Anytime I buy a new a new car or a new 12v battery, I take a quick turn around the terminals/posts with a battery post cleaner.

2) I put out a scrap of cardboard and spray the battery with one of the commercial battery protector sprays.

[​IMG]

3) I install battery and forget about it.

I have been following this procedure for around 20 years and corrosion has never been a problem since I have used this method.

Prior to using this method, I would have to periodically clean terminals and cases of corrosion, which is always messy and always a pain.

A quick question though: I did follow this procedure with the replacement 12v I put in the Prius a couple of years ago. But when we got the brand-new car some eight years ago, I did not remove the battery from the car when we originally took delivery nor did I treat the original 12v. It is my understanding that AGM batteries such as in the Prius actually don't have any problems with gunk.

Is that mostly true?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might help that they're not heavily taxed, and are in the less extreme cabin environment.

8. Earman

Earman CDN Prius III Technology Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My daughter and I, both have the identical 2010 Prius. Both 12v batteries died on the same day (!) after about 3 years. Hers was perfectly clean. Mine had the negative post covered with green deposits. Positive post was clean. I treated the new posts when replacing.

9. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've never seen any buildup on the aux battery terminals at all--they stay perfectly clean. The parts store clerk raised an eyebrow at me when I brought in the original aux battery for recycling. It looked like I took a brand new battery off the shelf and set it on the counter to be taken in. I figured a little explanation was needed.

On the old truck, the battery is a mess! No question at all which is the old one. I use a wire brush on those terminals.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my '05 dakota battery terminals look like brand new. i'm not sure what causes corrosion or the white powdery stuff.

11. tadman95

tadman95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just replaced an 11 year old 12v battery in the Prius. The posts were clean, looked new. I always put a thin coat of Dielectric grease on the posts if I put a new battery in service.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! new record?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say yes. Since the 12V AGM battery does not contain a substantial amount of liquid acid to leak out of the terminals and cause corrosion, I do not believe there is a particular need to treat the battery terminals. I have not done that with any of the four Prius that I've owned, and the battery terminals have always looked like new when I need to replace a battery.

For that matter, I haven't worried about treating the terminals on regular 12V batteries for many years. My 2006 HiHy and 2000 Ford Mustang GT convertible both have liquid lead acid batteries and terminal corrosion is not an issue with either car.

#13 Patrick Wong, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.