1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning carbon deposits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Apr 20, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to let everyone know I tried using Marvel Mystery Oil in my oil for 3000 miles and it successfully removed carbon deposits that were caked onto my spark plug tips. I actually was using the MMO to try and clean the engine in an attempt to reduce the oil burning on my 2006. But I had time today and I went ahead and decided to change out my spark plugs. But as I took the old ones out, I realized all the carbon deposits that were on the plugs 3000 miles ago were almost all gone. I still changed the plugs because I already had new ones but it's amazing the MMO actually cleaned out all the layers of carbon on the tips of the old plugs.

I'm not a real big fan of oil additives but this has proven to be a good product in cleaning out deposits. I still have the MMO in the engine, just changed my oil last week and added 3 qts 5w-30 and 1/2 quart MMO. I'll see what happens the next 3000 miles.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    MMO will THIN your oil.

If you are having a problem with burning oil because of worn rings or leaking gaskets,
    it will likely make it WORSE and not better.

And as for removing carbon deposits from your plugs............I'm skeptical.
    If you had the plugs out and knew that they were fouled with carbon, you should not
    have put them back in the first place.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know the effects of MMO and yes it does make the oil thinner. I started with a 5w-30 and maybe end up with a 5w-20? who knows, who cares. I'm using it as a cleaner and I've been monitoring the oil to make sure it doesn't run low. I have nothing to lose, this engine makes a lot of noise, has a really loud knock. Probably needs a valve adjustment (not the easiest on these GenII cars) but I'm not going to put the effort in doing it. I would just replace the engine when it quits. In the mean time, I'm experimenting with additives to see if it'll improve the oil burning. I've read all kinds of things of it helping, hurting, many skeptical reviews etc, but this is my chance at doing myself and finding out the results myself.

Yes the plugs cleaned up, it wasn't my intention to clean them, it just happened they cleaned up. I bought this car used and the previous owner told me they were changed out 20k miles ago so I had no intention to change them the first time I removed them. I put them back because I didn't have new plugs that very moment, saved the job for another day.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Valves out of adjustment will not give you a loud knock. You either have a worn out engine with excessive bearing clearance or carboned up pistons with a carbon knock. If you are serious about cleaning pistons/combustion chambers, you need piston soak or slow water ingestion. Techron should be also your friend.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Best case scenario would be the engine has a carbon knock. I don't know how the carbon formed on the plugs, but if that's what's fouling the engine, it would be worth while to try and fix it. I'm already prepared to replace this engine, that's why I'm experimenting with it. I seem to have lost a little performance, it doesn't seem to have much torque when I first accelerate, but that's to be expected if the engine is truly worn. I don't think the oil levels was properly kept by the previous owner, most likely damaged from lack of oil.

6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the engine consumes oil, that results in carbon. So, it's quite likely. That would rob you of power by retarded ignition.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you go about a piston soak on a prius? don't you have to turn the engine over a few times after the soak?

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's my problem with that:
    No need to re-invent the wheel. That has already been done, a thousand times or more.

The results are: In and old engine that has lots of miles that starts making noise and using oil......you need to use THICKER oil not thinner.
    In recent years, advances have been made with "seal wetter" too.
    In case the problem is mostly valve guide seals instead of worn rings, my advice is to start using 10W40 "high mileage" oil and quit screwing around with it beyond that.

Your MMO thinning out the oil will certainly make matters worse, not better.

9. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see much difference compared to regular Otto cycle ICE. You turn it first with plugs out. If you are concerned, evacuate liquid first (if any left) with piece tube and large syringe before turning ICE.
    Now, for carbon removal, I had better yield with Berryman's B12 than MMO. You can do both sequentially, too. B12 followed by MMO, each several hours or overnight. I did that in Corolla and that completely stopped oil consumption for 5000 miles and only later consumption came back but to a lesser degree.

10. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see much difference compared to regular Otto cycle ICE. You turn it first with plugs out. If you are concerned, evacuate liquid first (if any left) with piece of tube and large syringe before turning ICE.
    Now, for carbon removal, I had better yield with Berryman's B12 than MMO. You can do both sequentially, too. B12 followed by MMO, each several hours or overnight. I did that in Corolla and that completely stopped oil consumption for 5000 miles and only later consumption came back but to a much lesser degree (so much for the naysayers above who have no clue whatsoever). BTW, aggressive piston soaks should be done right before oil/filter change.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Given those results, have you considered that what you accomplished really was freeing up a stuck ring or two.......and it really had nothing to do with "carbon buildup" at all ??

Despite all the hype from people selling products to eliminate "damaging" carbon buildup in engines, except in rare and unusual circumstances, where there really is another underlying condition that needs to be fixed anyway, there is some normal accumulation of carbon inside the combustion chambers of almost EVERY engine and it causes no problem whatsoever, partly because it is self-limiting. That is, after the accumulation reaches a certain point, it either falls off or burns off.

If you really have excessive carbon buildup on the plugs or valves or pistons, you need to find out WHY and fix that. Simply getting rid of the carbon itself accomplishes pretty much nothing and is a waste of time and money.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Easy Rider,

You seem to know quite a bit about these cars. What I experience in my car is actually not a driving issue but a sound issue. The car drives fine, with slightly less torque than my others, but the engine knocks really loud at idle. I thought it would need a valve adjustment but "friendly_jacek" suggested the valves wouldn't be the cause of the loud knock.

Yes I want to get to the root of the problem "just for fun", I want to see if I can ease the knocking. I already plan to replace this engine once it quits because the engines are so affordable. But in the meantime, I don't mind trying to fix this engine and see what improvements I can make on it. So it basically burns 5w-30 oil at about 1qt every 1500-2000 miles and has a really embarrassing knocking sound at idle "like when I'm coming to a red light".

Any suggestions?

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Only to repeat what I already said;
    THICKER oil, not thinner. 10W40 or 20W50 "High Mileage" type.

And that knock is probably a loose bearing, on the crank or piston pin......and the old girl probably won't last much longer no matter what you do.

If you plan on trading in your old engine for a rebuilt one, your old engine might be worth quite a bit MORE with just a knock instead of with a hole in the block from connecting rods flying around loose inside.

Certain basics apply to pretty much all engines.
    LOUD knocks usually don't last too long, as the engine usually stops making ANY sounds fairly soon.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A Prius engine from a wreck can be purchased for $400, how much do you think 1 with a knock would net? I was going to recycle the metal and get $50 for it.

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming your $400 figure is right.......one with ANY know major defect probably isn't worth much more than melt down value. I find $400 to be rather amazing; would think it would vary quite a bit by the mileage at the time of the wreck.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can find the engines at $400 everyday here in CA. Many with less than 100k miles. It truly is amazing that you can purchase another engine for the same price as replacing a water pump at the dealer.

The spark plugs I put in this weekend was 1/10th the value of a replacement engine.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which shows you there is very little demand for a used engine. The Prius gasoline engine is highly reliable, if you keep the engine oil/oil filter changed per the maintenance schedule and keep an eye on the engine oil level between changes, the engine should normally last for "the life of the vehicle" no matter how you define that term.

I've noticed only a couple of situations where the engine had to be replaced, and it seemed that poor or no maintenance (or hitting the engine oil pan on a road obstacle, causing the oil to quickly leak out) were the reasons for that.

18. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This guy had prius engine knock, thought it was shot bearings, but he was wrong. Fixed by cleaning and new rings:

19. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Which proves what exactly ?? That things can fail.....like worn rings....that make carbon buildup a real problem ?
    No argument there.

Given that situation, however, none of the "magic snake oil" fixes for carbon buildup would have done any good at all.
    Well, not for more than a few miles anyway.

If you REALLY have a bad carbon buildup problem, you need to find the REASON and fix it.
    Just treating the "symptom" won't accomplish anything useful.

20. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You either have a comprehension problem or just argue for the sake of arguing. Not sure which.
    Lets see if this is simple enough for you (in a good faith effort):
    Gummed rings -> oil consumption -> carboned combustion chambers -> carbon knock (and more gummed rings, vicious cycle starts).
    Piston soaks -> cleaning rings and pistons -> less oil consumption -> less problems and a chance to break the vicious cycle.