1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning Hybrid Battery Fan -- Pull Orange Tab??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by woody23, Aug 4, 2022.

1. woody23

woody23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I plan on disconnecting the 12v but I noticed a comment on youtube stating to also pull the orange tab on the main battery. I don't know if he means pull the tab up or pull it out? Is this even necessary?

"2) You should have unhooked the orange tab on high voltage battery as that could kill you if there is a short. I understand the high voltage battery relay would turn it off if you remove the negative on the 12v battery but just for backup safety its better to pull the orange tab"

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, disconnecting the negative battery terminal connection "should" be all you need to do, because in theory, the HV hybrid battery cannot be activated via a solenoid without the auxiliary battery connected.

Just don't do the maintenance with a battery charger connected up front and you should be good to go. YMMV

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

woody23 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't, and don't think it's necessary. You're not opening up the hybrid battery; just cleaning some ducts and dusting the fins on the (12 volt powered) fan.

woody23 and xliderider like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should clarify: I didn't disconnect either battery.

mikey_t and woody23 like this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wouldn't either. As Mendel says, it's just a fan in some plastic ducts. If you wouldn't fuss with battery disconnection to change a headlight bulb or a horn, this isn't much different. Just have the car turned off, so the fan isn't spinning while you clean it. :)

Unless you're going to pull off a duct that exposes the high voltage frame wire terminals.

woody23 likes this.
  6. woody23

woody23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks guys. I just left the 12v and the orange tab alone. Fan wasn't too dirty either. Just a thin layer of caked on dust on the fins. No hair or anything. Got it cleaned up pretty good.

7. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with just disconnecting the negative terminal on your 12-volt battery just to be sure it's not going to come on.