1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning Question: How to protect/care for exterior "Black Panels"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Spryfly, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see it explicitly discussed on any of the threads...

Thanks to everyone here, I did my first claying/wax (only a little came up with the clay, but I live in an area with lots of military air fallout and you can feel the grit on the glass within a day or so... bah!) with Meguiars products, including the wax intended for black cars, which I like. (My car is 2010 Blue Ribbon, dark enough I thought...)

But WHAT do I use to protect and clean the exterior black (plastic like?) trim panels around the windows on the doors? Should I wax these over? No? Do I use the same as the tire product? No...?

I also live in an area of dry sun and my car's tires tend to crack before showing wear. What's the best regular maintenance for "moisturizing" or protecting my tires to minimize this problem?

Ok, one last thing: My headlights already have some 'scratches' that are fogging up the top of the headlight. Should I use a headlight refinisher/cleaner kit to polish these out?

Thank you for any suggestions!

2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From what I know and use, for the plastic panels, I use Armor all Protectant, they protect and shine plastic trims inside and outside of your vehicle. As for the tires, I would use tire shine to prevent any dryness for the tires. As for the headlights, I haven't used anything yet, but it doesn't hurt to try out the headlight cleaner kit and let us know how it went :)

Spryfly likes this.
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Spryfly likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Spryfly likes this.
  5. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

tire products here too

Spryfly likes this.
  6. Spryfly

Spryfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you everyone! I also tried the headlight kit and it took those fogs/scratches right out with a little elbow grease, looks great now!

7. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    very nice, I think I should try some of that too, my headlights flaking off on my 06 accord lolz

8. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had great results with claybar + Opti-Glass when I did my windows, and continued with my headlights.