1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning SofTex

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jonny Zero, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I was at the bank drive thru, and was signing the back of a check on the arm rest between the two front seats. The ballpoint pen went through the paper and left a mark on the surface.

I think the surface is SofTex. How do I clean this off without harming it? Would GooGone work?

2. d in tx

d in tx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try hairspray.....the pump type, not aerosol. it sounds wierd, but it really does a good job removing ink. I'm not sure how it would do on the SofTex, but I think it would be less harsh than GooGone.

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've used GooGone on just about every type of non-porous surface with good results, so I would imagine it would work without damage--but I'm not certain, so try at your own risk. ;)

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I winded up using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser after some research online. There was no magic, took plenty of rubs. The mark got very light at the end, but it is still there. Harder rubbing did not take it completly off at the end. It is at the point you have to look, to see it there.

The downside is the rubbing polished the texture of the surface off, and dulled out the affected area. You can see that in the right light. I am bummed out about that considering the car is just over a week old. :mad:

I might throw some leather conditioner on it to see if I can cover up the dulled area.

5. Prius Guy

Prius Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am thinking about getting paint protection film installed. I would like feedback from someone with the film. Thanks!

6. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would start with some dawn dish soap on a damp rag for something like that before getting more drastic.

7. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Blot only. Never rub.

Hairspray does work pretty well to loosen stains like ink.

If hairspray fails, you can make a spot remover with 1 part glycerine, 1 part clear Dawn, and 8 parts water. Apply a few drops of this, and then a few drops of white vinegar. Let stand for 30 minutes, blotting every 5 minutes with a clean, dry cloth. Add more of the glycerine mix and the vinegar as necessary to keep the stain moist. After 30 minutes blot with a water-soaked clean cloth. You need enough water to flush the ink out.

You might want to try this in a non-readily-visible spot first. I'm not sure how colorfast softex is.

I would be reluctant to try anything like rubbing alcohol or acetone, because that isn't good on some plant-based synthetic fabrics.

8. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After a few days, the remaining ink mark completely disappeared on its own. I don't know how. Of course, the dulled area from rubbing is still there. Makes me wonder if the ink was going to disppear on its own anyway, had I left it alone. But then again, I have seen it blot like a bad tatoo too.

9. Scott & Lacy

Scott & Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV

10. Scott & Lacy

Scott & Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just had great success using plain old rubbing alcohol to get out ink stains on my softex black/gray seats. I used a q tip and dabbed it lightly on the ink and then gently dabbed it dry with a soft white cloth. No rubbing, no smear, no discoloration. Fast, easy and cheap to fix. It was blue ink from a bic and was a stain less than 2hours old.