1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChuckNobl, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pledge is similar to Armor-All in that it leaves a kind of waxed surface that is more resistant to dust. I think it is more chemically benign than Armor-All. I use it regularly on the plexiglass covers on my sculptures, the outside surfaces of my acrylic aquarium, the windscreen on the airplane (both sides), and, of course, on wood. It works well on plastics, and won't harm them, even the screen face on the MFD which is a lot sturdier than many posters on this chatline think it is. I use the plastic squirt bottles rather than aerosol cans. The aerosols spray too fine a mist and it goes everywhere; the plastic bottles with the squirt gun tops allow you to direct it where you want it; there are no flourocarbons involved, and you get a better deal for your money.

2. rnjenn

rnjenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2008 Toyota Prius and just love it but it was a rental vehicle before I purchased it and needed alot of tender loving care.It was very dusty inside and appeared to have been sitting for awhile.I have cleaned it up now but continue to have what appears to be areas on the dash that are white instead of the gray original coloring.I have cleaned it with a damp cloth and a microfiber cloth but it looks like its dust that I am having a hard time removing.Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it and do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks-
    Rnjenn

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The primary ingredient in Pledge is a Silicone compound.

According to their MSDS sheets, the aerosol and trigger bottles contain a slightly different formulation. I would rather use the aerosol formulation on plastic, although with them both intended for general household use, they must both be OK for plastics.

SC Johnson Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) Library

They don't use fluorocarbons as propellant, they use hydrocarbon gases, which probably don't light you candle either, although with an open flame present they could easily light your candle and more:D

4. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Don't use Armor All it will crack the dashboard after awhile. FishHawk

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use pledge on the (acrylic) windscreen of my motorcycle and on the body panels.
    I also use pledge on side/rear glass, head and taillights of my Prius and on paint when it has bugs, oil, etc. No negative effects till now. Used on glass it works as rainX but wears off faster.

Thanks,
    - Alex and 2005 Prius