1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the fan under the back seat...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mint tulip, Oct 7, 2019.

1. mint tulip

mint tulip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have a 2014 that runs well (60k). Every time we go for routine maintenance, the dealer wants $400+ to clean the battery fan.

I took a bit of the cover off (passenger side back seat), and there's a grill that looks like metal hardware cloth - basically wire mesh with square holes. It sends air to a fan that cools the batteries.

I vacuumed a bit, and blew off some dust with compressed air, but I don't see any issue. I have not taken it apart down to the batteries or fan.

Why does Toyota want $400 for this? Is it necessary or just a gimmick? If dust in the fan is such an issue, why not some kind of filter instead of the wire stuff?

Thanks....

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is a good idea to inspect and clean the fan if necessary. if you don't carry shedding pets, its usually not an issue.
    i'm at 66k and haven't bothered because i don't carry pets or anything that could lead to clogging.

if you decide you want it done, shop around. $400. is a wallet cleaning, not a fan cleaning.

i'd be willing to pay $100.-$150.

check out @NutzAboutBolts youtube channel, he might have a good video for diy, or at least an understanding of a reasonable cost to pay someone, based on the time involved.

all the best!(y)

Bbonez, NutzAboutBolts and mint tulip like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah he does. There's a Priuschat link to it, in pinned thread at top of this sub-forum. The only exception I'd take: he pulls the rear seat bottom off. I don't see that as being necessary, and I believe the seat clips are fragile/finicky. There's one bolt you need to reach, a bit below the hybrid fan intake grill (on seat back, passenger side): use a ratchet wrench with extension and a 12 mm socket, push apart the seat and back cushions, and reach through. A light helps. Don't drop the bolt, lol.

I just followed-my-nose the first time I did this, hadn't seen the videos. You need to pry off the hatch floor atop the battery, take out that section of the rear seat back bit with the grill, and just work your way in.

Dust out all the plastic ductwork as you remove it. I found I was able to clean the fan blades without complete removal, just running a q-tip along each blade. Then blow the whole area out with air, either wet/dry vac or leaf blower, or shop air, what have you. The fasteners on the hatch floor over the battery are very stubborn, overkill I think. I left a lot of them off when reassembling, made it easier next time.

NutzAboutBolts and mint tulip like this.
  4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    for toyota employees that should be a routine thing /

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It took me maybe 2 hours. A pro mechanic, experienced with the job, an hour?

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because it's all labor. It's probably 3-3.5 hours of labor.
    If the fan gets dusty, seems the battery would be dusty also, and all duct work from the fan
    to where it exhausts by the battery(12v).

7. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would certainly ask if they are cleaning the battery and ductwork as well. I still think that's only a 1-2 hour job for an experienced tech. I suspect they really only do clean just the fan for the $400.

It's a fairly simple DIY and is very rewarding to save that kind of money.

Also, can't you look in the battery air intake with a light and get a peak at the fan to see how dusty it is?

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly.

No, it's way in there, you can't see more than a few inches. I've attached a piece of residential window screen material to the inside of the air intake grill, and you can get "some" idea, from the condition of that.

We're low miles, transport a dog sometimes, and I haven't bothered with it for at least two years now. It takes a fair amount of time and miles to get to where it needs cleaning.

ASRDogman likes this.
  9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure they ONLY clean the fan. It doesn't matter how long it takes them to clean it, it's flat rate.
    I have dogs. This is what I got. It was $14 for the filter from Toyota. The other screen with $2-3.
    I just cut it to fit. I pull it off every few weeks and wash it out in the sink, shake it dry, then put it back in.
    It does catch a lot of fur and dust!

Attached Files:

pjksr02 likes this.
  10. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you think its possible to inspect the fan with an inspection camera or is there something that would block the camera from getting to the fan?

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can feed bore scope type camera through the intake vent. I think there are a couple of
    90 degree angles, but you should be able to do that.

Bbonez likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe, but I don't know that it would be worthwhile. I would just get in there; it's not that hard.

Bbonez likes this.
  13. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Inspection camera makes it to the fan without a problem, just pushed it in and bent itself straight in. Definitely needs to be cleaned.
    20200118_133103.jpg 20200118_132836.jpg

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would think it needs a cleaning. :)

Bbonez likes this.
  15. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did the HV fan cleaning for the first time and it was extremely easy, everyone should be confident enough to DIY this one.

Here is what the fan looked like when I pulled it out:
    20200119_141014.jpg
    After cleaning:
    20200119_143550.jpg
    Back in the car with inspection camera:
    20200119_151035.jpg

Thank to everyone for the quick and helpful responses.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like fur! Do you or the previous owner have dogs?
    Looks like you did a good job. (y)

17. Bbonez

Bbonez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have never had any animals in the car since I've owned it(about 13 months and 50k miles).

Thanks, I went around the block and did a short test drive afterwards and EV mode was deactivated at 10MPH saying "excessive speed" I thought that was at 25MPH before, could I have done something or does it change based on current status of the HV battery? Or am I just remembering incorrectly?

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My EV kicks off at 10 also, UNLESSSS, I'm going VERRRYYYYY slooowwwwww...
    I can creap it up to about 15mph. If the battery is charged high enough, and the engine is already
    at operating temp, the EV will deactivate, but it will still just run off the battery to about 40mph.
    But I have to do it very slowly.
    But I can also just get up to a few miles over the speed limit and hit the cruise then decrease until
    I get to the speed limit, and the engine kicks off.

Mendel Leisk and Bbonez like this.
  19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It won’t stay on ev mode after a certain amount of seconds even if under 5 mph.

Bbonez likes this.