1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the inside of the windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I've found that ZEP 40 glass cleaner and newspaper works real well.

Mike

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ah yes, newspaper makes a good polisher. Works great when getting water spots off the exterior side of the windows.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikel 52 @ Aug 9 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]300139[/snapback]</div>
    Mike

I use Zep around the house too, but I've only been able to find it at commercial/institutional supply places. Though recently Home Depot has started carrying their products.

I'd never use newsprint to clean anything. The ink is soy-based and very easily transfers, causing nasty smearing. That is why your fingers and the palms of your hand get black after reading a newspaper.

jay

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my Glass Wizard today and tried it out. It works GREAT! It was well worth the $9.95 plus shipping. I was able to clean my windshield in a few minutes without having to rest my arm or be in awkward positions. All you have to do is keep the handel at about the same angle as the windshield so you can push and pull it up and down. The triangle shape lets it get into all corners of the windshield and even gets all the way down to the dash and a little below. It also works well on the rear upper window. My glass has not been this streak free since it came from the dealer. I recommend everyone buy this or get something similar.

I swear that every time I think of a good invention it has already been made. Oh well. I have a few more inventions i'm working on like a way to snap your fingers 2 times and the lights come on. Yeah I think that would be a great invention. :) Oh and a container that cooks and drains pasta. :D I also found a way to clean cloths with oxygen! :D I swear these thing just come to me.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Aug 11 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]301759[/snapback]</div>
    Is the pad on any kind of a hinge or is it fixed to the handle?

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The pad is hinged and can flip 180 degrees. Its just hard to get good pressure and move it when the handel is at a 90 degree angle from the windshield.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 8 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]300002[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps you're just cleaner than the rest of us!

I do the same thing, but only with the 100% cotton towels. If they are a synthetic blend, I'll use them for painting and the like, but I don't use them on glass or (especially) the clearcoat.

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought a Glass Wizard at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $10 minus 20% discount coupon -- so the price isn't bad!

Haven't tried it yet.

9. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm going to have to try one of those Glass Wizards. I'll put it to use with my favorite glass cleaner of all time: hot water. Seriously, try it. Soak an old washcloth or hand towel in clear, hot water, wring it out, wipe down the glass, then before it can dry, buff it off with a dry clean towel. Assuming you get the water before it dries and streaks, the glass will be perfectly clean, zero residue. Invisible Glass is also great as a first step if the glass is really dirty to start with (as in a bug covered outer surface, or an ultra hazed interior). A year or so ago, I did my mother in law's car, and she was raving over the glass and asking what I'd used (she's a clean-a-holic whose pantry has at least 100 different cleaning chemicals of one sort or another... :rolleyes: ). When I told her "just water," she acted as if I was keeping some great family secret to myself. Oh well. . .

10. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Aug 5 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]298297[/snapback]</div>

In plain english...It's a bitch!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

11. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been using winde.....(you know) in all forms- the glass wipes, the multis surface wipes, spray with brand-name paper towels.
    all attempts wind up with the streaky fog on the inside so I will have to try the invisible glass next...

thanks for the tips!

12. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I started detailing my cars at 16 years old and now that I'm 53, I think I've tried most methods of cleaning windows. Windows are still a challenge to clean for me but I'll share my own experience if it will perhaps help some folks.

1) Go out and buy these designated "towels" for your all your window cleaning and keep them separate from your household/garage rags. So what towels work best? Well guys, you may have to ask your wife to buy them if your uncomfortable walking into the nursery section of the store :blink: but what work best for me is the old fashion cloth baby diapers!!! These are VERY soft and dense, hold lots of moisture too! These are the ONLY towels I will use on the Prius MFD screen and the shiny black plastic radio screens and cup holders. (use a VERY soft touch) For those who use regular towel rags you WILL scratch these soft plastic parts. New diapers will need to be washed to soften the new stiffness.

2) Most windows cleaners are OK but often contain other ingrediants like wax that only help to create streaks in your windows or smearing the already present film on the glass! Again I like to use a tiny bit of old fashion liquid dishwasher detergent mixed with clean water in a bucket. The soap should NOT be foaming in the water, just enough detergent to cut any film or grease on your glass. I like to use those bug remover sponges you see in the auto section of your favorite store that have the square shape sponge with the mesh net around them (glass only, not on the plastic). I get it wet enough to transfer the water/soap to the glass and rub the glass good. I then go over the area with the diapers, two of them. I use the wetter of the two for the initial cleaning followed by the second diaper to do the final clean and streak removal.

When you use ordinary window spray cleaners, it is hard to spray for example the inside of the Prius windshield without spray going all over the dash or instrument screen display. If these are left alone to dry, you will later see these "spots" on your dash, speedo display, etc. The sponge transfer keeps the cleaner on the glass only (unless you squeeze the sponge too much :eek: )!

Another note on store bought window cleaners, yes I'm guilty too and still use them from time to time when needed but over a period of time the chemicals in them will build up their own film layer on the glass. The liquid dish soap mentioned above will take this film off. You may need to do the glass a couple times to remove this film if yours is built up over years of use! My own Prius windows do not sparkle as some window cleaners advertise but they are nearly invisible! This is what you really want.

Happy cleaning! Tom KN6VV

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing kn6vv!

14. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 13 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]302721[/snapback]</div>
    C'mon someone had to get a chuckle out of that............. :blink: :D

15. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I spray stuff on the inside, I first lay down a large, clean bath-type towel over the dash/instrument panel to protect it.

16. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 15 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]303834[/snapback]</div>
    I did!

marjam

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

18. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 16 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]303903[/snapback]</div>
    I'd said that as I drove facing the sun, I could barely see out the windshield, that it looked like I'd put wax on it and didn't wipe it off. That's hardly "obsessive," that's a problem.

19. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 16 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]303989[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't used this product, so the following might not apply, but it can't hurt. I had used RainX. After applying it and letting it dry to a haze, according to directions, you are supposed to wipe it with a clean dry cloth. Well, that didn't work at all. I tried microfiber and cotton terry. Couldn't get the stuff off. It also said, however, OR spray with water and wipe with a paper towel. That worked very well. So, give that a try.

20. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 16 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]303903[/snapback]</div>

Um - what is "claying"?
    :unsure: