1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the Plastic Center Console

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Jun 3, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This may concern the normal Prius as well as the Prime (don't know) but was wondering if anyone can recommend a good cleaning solution for the plastic center console (in front of the cupholders).

My console is white... and all of a sudden I noticed a circular black mark on the square section where you can put things (my Plus trim doesn't have the wireless phone-recharging function, it's just plain white there). The black mark didn't look like a scratch, and almost appeared to be "under" the sealant coat. But it wasn't there when I bought it, making that unlikely. Still, I tried using a soft cloth and water... and scrubbing as hard as I could (gently) saw no change in it at all. So, I took it into the dealer today just on a whim. They were nice enough to drive it back to detailing, and a few minutes later, it was gone. The service tech simply said detailing used a solution to get it (whatever it was) off.

What's strange is that I pretty much never put anything in that square space. I must have put something there just for a second temporarily somehow... but if anyone has any suggestions on a safe product to buy that won't take off the sealant, but will still clean, where water and soft cloth does absolutely nothing, please let us know so the next time this happens I can just do it myself. I suppose should've asked at the dealership, but you don't actually speak to the detailing people directly...

2. Christov Tenn

Christov Tenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see this is an old post to which no replies have been made in answer to the original question. Searching the forum for "cleaning white center console?" returned this post as well as others specific to black applique package (which I'll probably wind up getting).

Yesterday afternoon I took delivery of a used one-owner 2016 Prius Three with ATP. Dealer's detail crew apparently did nothing inside the cabin because it still smells like a family of Hutts had been making use of it. Some orange stains on the white center console appear consistent with a previous occupant having tried to stuff a cardboard 'bowl' of Wendy's chili into a cup holder with inevitable results. I tried a dab of toilet bowl cleaner "with Bleach!" on a rag, scrubbed it. No joy. Rinsed with a damp cloth to prevent burn through.

Any ideas on an actually effective cleaning product for this console that might save me sixty bucks plus shipping for the applique kit?