1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered one from screenpatronus as well. Should be here next week sometime.

I can always tell when my daughter has been in the car and pushing the buttons...the fingerprints are horrible. Now, I don't recall her eating BBQ in the car but you never know!

2. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just use an old cotton T-shirt. It's soft and doesn't scratch anything. I keep it in the forward pull out tray in front of the console. Sometimes the simple answer is the best.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto that: old, well-washed, all-cotton anything are excellent cleaning tools for transparencies. I use weak ammonia solution or Windex sprayed onto old socks for my MFD.

4. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use a micro fiber cloth also and it works good. I am curious- has anyone tried something like a Swiffer? I use it on my dash and it is great for picking up dust. I haven't been brave enough to chance it on the screen yet though.

5. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Swiffer is fine on the screen but it only removes dust, not smudges.

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Aug 14 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]302953[/snapback]</div>
    I would be very careful about using anything like a Swiffer on anything electronic; the possibility of building up and then discharging a static charge into the MFD is a little too great for my liking. I have intimate experience with the effects of ESD on electronics...

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I use the spray and micro fiber cloth that I got for my LCD computer screen.

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Aug 14 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]302971[/snapback]</div>
    It should be fine; a touch screen that could not tolerate ESD would be a very poor design (but not impossible, I admit).

9. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow. I've been using a napkin and a little water to clean mine. I wet the napkin & wipe the screen. No streaks or smudges and my sunscreened fingerprints wipe away nicely.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 14 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]303121[/snapback]</div>
    I currently have a problem with my integrated touchpad on my laptop (HP/Compaq high end model) being sensitive to ESD and locking up the OS (and this is obviously designed to be touched). I've also had similar issues with PDAs that use touch screens. I always try to ground myself.

11. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Aug 13 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]302811[/snapback]</div>

Cotton...Lint...Black dash...I don't think so

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I use a California Duster for light dustings of the dash and MFD. I keep it in the lower glove box and can break it out on a whim.

After I wash and dry the outside of the car, I use the damp micro fiber towel I used to dry the car on the MDF, dash, steering wheel, etc.

I have never used a chemical cleaning product and everything still looks new two years later.

I think Toyota knows the best way, and they told you . . .
    Per the 2005 Owner's Manual (USA), page 268:
    Air conditioning control panel, audio, instrument panel, console panel, and switches
    Use a soft damp cloth for cleaning.
    Soak a clean soft clothe in water or luke-warm water then lightly wipe off dirt.

13. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 24 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]291810[/snapback]</div>
    Go to GameStop or any place that sells handheld video games - they sell screen cloths, probably a type of microfiber, that work very well. You'll spend about US$5.

If your Prius is on, press the Display button, then select Screen Off to make sure you don't inadvertently perform any irreversible operations like resetting your mileage tracking... :rolleyes: