1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exmetrodriver, Sep 10, 2014.

1. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I pulled off one of the plastic trim rings and it was beyond filthy. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use on these to get them looking like new? And if you haven't ever pulled one you might want to take a look.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can get any type of wheel cleaner from your local auto shop. or a good strong cleaner like simple green.

3. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been afraid to.....

Less of the grime, which can be cleaned, more of re-fitting the rings back on. On previous cars, the "hub caps" never fit as tightly again.

Will this be a problem on Prius wheels?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Removed my rings a few days after I bought the car. Rims look much better without the rims. But they are there to protect the wheel edge. if your prone to hitting the curb while parking leave them on.

Known issue that the trim rings trap water and debris and will rust the wheel under them.

Any pasts store or Walmart buy some mag wheel cleaner/polish.

They just snap right back on.,

5. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any wheel cleaner will help clean the road grime / brake dust etc from the wheel. I also pop the hubcaps into the dishwasher (when my Mrs isn't around) and it brings them out like new. A 15" wheel also fits in our dishwasher ..... don't ask how I know!

#5 Tony D, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Fifine likes this.