1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clear bra film headlight protection surprise

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by sean v4, Apr 5, 2015.

1. sean v4

sean v4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four

So a month ago, I decided to clear bra my headlight and side mirror at a place called Xact window tinting located Ontario, Calif. For the headlight on the 2015 Prius v, it was 2 piece due to the weird bulge on the headlight so if you look closely you can see there's a small gap from the 2 pieces meet.

I don't know if anyone has done clear film on their Prius v, if the installer did it with one piece. How did it turn out? I used Xpel film with the self healing. The side mirror where also 2 pieces. He tried to do with one piece at first but it didn't turn out too well. So he redid with two piece and it was much nicer.

Anyhow, this place was great. Only because today, I was going to attempt to do the front side DRL light with the clear film. But to my surprise, he did it for me! I didn't even know about it. I feel this was the most important light only because it so low to the ground and take the most beating from debris flying at it.

If you need clear film, I would highly recommend Xact window tinting. I work with Luis Oceguera.

Sean

2. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have this self-healing film on my v's entire front bumper, partial hood and partial front fenders and mirrors. It's great.

As I write this my wife's brand new Hunday Elantra is getting the same treatment. Cost is $699. US with no tax B/C Nevada does not charge tax on materials a company installs. Go figure. This film comes off a roll and is computer cut from a program that precisely matches the car's contours. The fact that it comes off a roll is what keeps the cost down. Other companies sell pre-cut stuff that costs over $1,000. Today my shop showed me a Porsche Cayman that had the ENTIRE front end back to the doors covered so there are no visible lines. Cost $2,000.

But hey, this is the same state that allows me to own an FN PS-90 carbine with 50 round magazines.

3. sean v4

sean v4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just wanted to give an update.. the film brand that I put on was Xpel. And 3 years later, my headlight is good as new.

jzchen and SFO like this.
  4. rodtoledo

rodtoledo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What did it cost?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Star Shield Solutions also in Ontario covered our entire v. Happy with the cost for what I got. They do not do headlights, nor windshields. Haven't been there in many years but if she's still there ask for Monique.

Regarding headlights I should have had this done. Thinking of trying the Sam's Club lamp treatment on the lenses as they are cloudy now....

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do it yourself with a Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit. It does an amazing job. The key is the final clear cost uv sealant they provide that the otherwise equivalent 3M kit does not have. As long as they are not yellow you can easily do the restoration by hand. Its a system where you mask off the lights, spray a chemical and rinse quickly (helps remove any preexisting coating from an earlier cleaning or factory), then wet sand lightly with three progressive steps, rinsing with your own spray bottle of water along the way. It still looks fuzzy up to that point. You respray some of step one's chemical, rinse and pull the masking tape. The second use of the chemical is often forgotten by some users. Then you put on the UV clear coat with a wipe they provide and instantly they are clear. Allow to dry and your good. In my case I bought the kit for a fogged 2002 Camry and it cleared it up like new. I used left overs on my 2012's and "puff" they were clear as well.

This is the last step. Notice the cloudiness that remains. Then the UV clear coat is literally wiped on with the supplied lint free cloth and it transforms as shown. Unlike some "solutions" it stays this way when dried.

sylvania headlight restoration kit last uv step.jpg

#6 rjparker, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    jzchen likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    rjparker, thank you for sharing your good experience with the product! I actually bought two of those as well as registered them. (There is a lifetime warranty involved but like their mini ZEVO bulbs registration is "somehow" required. It is illegal in California as I know to require registration for a warranty to take effect). I tried it once but did not succeed in getting it to work. I assumed in that case it was actually impact damage that was the issue....

moto g(7) power ?