1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clear Bra

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by inventor00, Mar 7, 2004.

1. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got an e-mail back from Invinca-Shield.
    The plastic is on its way; should be here FedEx on April 19th.

When I e-mailed them about the 2 part numbers they replied:
    ---------------
    The difference in the two hood kits is 4482A has an extended hood. This hood covers up to 20" on the vehicle's hood, where as the hood for 4482 is our regular size hood that covers around 6-8" up on the vehicle's hood. Due to the difference in sizes, there is a price increase for the extended hood.
    The extended hood is some what harder to install by yourself. You will need an extra set of hands to install the piece.
    ----------------

Looks like the "extended hood" version comes up to about the top of the headlights.

It's supposed to come with an instruction video, too.

Going to try to put them on myself with a little help from my wife!

2. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Ok, dopey questions here. What does the application of the heavy duty plastic do when it's time to wash the car? Does it stay shiny for the life of the car? Do you have to replace it and if so, what does it do to the paint?

lisa

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It stays on, comes with a warranty, and should keep your car looking beautiful for the life of the car.

4. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Their web site is http://invinca-shield.com
    They take the raw 3M material and cut it to fit over 600 vehicles.

3M warrants the material to not yellow or crack for 5 years.

From the invinca-shield.com web site:
    Does it require special care? No, once INVINCA-SHIELD has been applied and allowed to cure for 24 hours, no firther maintenance is required. You can wash and wax your car as you would normally.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take a look at:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1344

I think most of your questions are answered there.

6. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i just received my package and within is the warranty that's good for 5 years. is it hard to remove the film in case it would need to be replaced? any paint damage in doing so or does it peel-off like tint?

7. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had the material applied this afternoon. Hood, front bumper and mirrors. It looks just great. And now, as someone said, I can drive it like I stole it!
    Also, have figured out a wonderful color specific side body molding solution which is on order. Will post pics when its installed. I just hate :cussing: nicks, door dents, chips, etc.

8. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

super, thanks for the info on warranty. here's the deal, i have a tendency to retain well cared for, high functioning vehicles for a long time. current car miata (13 years old). so, if i keep the prius with it's high tech coating for longer than 5 years - then what?

lisa

9. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i guess evaluate the condition of the 3M film. if it's ok leave it on, otherwise you can always peel it off then replace it... which is what i plan to do with mine. :wink: maybe by then they have an upgraded/ improved product...

10. Joel

Joel New Member

I still have my unused lower and upper front bumper kit (covers the entire front except for the hood). I'd let it go for $107 if anyone is interested.

-Joel

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's a post somewhere in here from a guy who had bird poop leave a yellow stain in the 3M plastic. Not sure if all the plastic bras are made of this stuff. Another guy wanted info about the hood deflector because he wanted to hide the bubbles in the plastic bra. Sounds like you need to be very careful putting this stuff on, but if done correctly, is near invisible. I put some of it on my headlight lenses and it is invisible. It was tough just doing that little bit.

12. m4prius

m4prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Highlander uses a clear plastic stone guard applied between the wheel wells below the doors. I assume its very similar stuff but has a rough texture.

13. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :mrgreen: both guys are me! the bubble issue's been resolved, after several days of "curing" they were gone. i guess i didnt have much confidence in my installation (have yet to install the bumper pieces). as for the yellow stains, faint tinge of yellow spots on the hood 3M.

14. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The product you speak of is actually sprayed on like paint. It was used on many of the Big 3 vehicles in the 90's until they decided to to save money at the cost of rocker panel paint. You can actually buy cans of this stuff at many auto parts stores.

15. Gen2

Gen2 Member

Ophelia,

I also tend to own very well cared for cars over many years. For the clear bra I went with Clear Armor because they gave me a lifetime warranty, were listed on the 3M site as being 3M authorized and the factory is only 4 blocks aways from me :p

I had them install the film and it looks great. They also sell complete kits but said that it is hard to install this stuff (authentic 3M material) unless you practice on a few pieces. The water bubbles, that you may get, will work their way out in a few days to a month, this is typical. The yellow stains from insects and birds droppings can be washed away (just don't scratch the film with your fingernail or anything else with an edge). They had heard that one customer had a yellow spot from a bug hit that would not go away. It faded on its own afer a few weeks and all is well.

Clear Armor also told me that the early customers of this 3M ScotchGuard Paint Protection film (10 years ago) are still enjoying crystal clear protection from their bras. There is currently no known limit to the life of this poduct.

Here is the URL for the 3M site and also for Clear Armor Inc. I recommend that you have a professional install it unless you are a very handy person.

http://www.cleararmorinc.com/products/premiumkits.html
    http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-168/czrRFFU/view.jhtml

16. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i just washed my car again and the yellow spots are still there plus a couple more :| makes me wonder what the birds here eat! hope they do fade...

17. Gen2

Gen2 Member

What do the guys at InvincaShield say about the stains?

18. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Could you mind revealing how much it cost and which kit (standard or premium)?

ALSO for those of you who have installed this yourselves

1. Do you have to manually cut around the front license plate holder or do you take it off before applying the film?

2. What about the "tow hole"--do the kits have the hole pre-cut for it and a separate piece for the circle?

Thanks!

19. Gen2

Gen2 Member

Hi!

The best bet is to call them, ask for Kenny (he's super nice) and get a standard price (I had them make me some extra pieces so I don't actually know what the kit goes for.) Tell him that Bob from the Prius club sent you and see if he'll knock off a few bucks.

I did watch the entire process and can answer a few questions.

1) Remove the front license plate holder before you start.
    2) This kit was precut for the tow hole and came with a small round piece for the plug.

I also had the headlights, foglights and top of rear bumper done at the same time. You must tell him that this is what you want (if you actually want them).

20. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. Since you can see that I'm in San Diego, it would have to be a great price for me to actually go there to have it installed. I'm trying to decide whether to (try to) do it myself or just shell out the bucks for a pro.

I sure like the idea of the extra pieces for the doors. Was one of those pieces edge guards (so you don't chip the edge of your door if it knocks into something--like the side wall of my garage!) and another one like a clear "ding bar"???