1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clear Coat Scratch Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RobotMan, Oct 9, 2005.

1. RobotMan

RobotMan New Member

While using the Zaino Clay bar, I managed to put a clear coat scratch on the hood. While I'm not bitter w/ Zaino, I'd like to know if anyone has any advise on how to get it out? Is there a way? Or I'm I doomed to see my F@#$ up everytime I look at car's hood?

Thanks,
    RobotMan

2. Oswaldo

Oswaldo New Member

Robotman,

I just received my Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit. I've never used Zaino before so please tell me how you scratched your finish or provide some suggestions so that I can avoid doing the same.

Thanks,

Oswaldo

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. gcoyne

gcoyne New Member

SeaSalsa, off topic but is there a high resolution version of your avatar available?

george

5. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

I scratched the clear coat on my black 05. My nephew is a 21 year old certified paint and body guy. He suggested I use wax and buff it out. It was magic. The scratches disappeared instantly. B)

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, the solution is either to repaint your car, or wax it, or something in between. Saying you're got a "scratch" on your hood is so vague it's all but useless. How deep? All the way through the clearcoat? Through the base coat? All the way to bare metal? How long? Have you tried putting anything on it already? What effect did it have? Without knowing more information it's impossible, and irresponsible to suggest a course of action.

For you to put any kind of scratch in your clearcoat two things must have gone wrong:

1) Technique: claying is done with light finger pressure and plenty of lubricant, so to scratch your paint you must have been doing one or both wrong

2) Contaminants: Unless the clay came from the manufacturer contaminated (which I highly doubt), you must have dropped or otherwise contaminated your clay, and continued to use it without folding it to expose a contaminant-free surface.

Regardless of how the scratch got there, it could have been avoided with proper technique. You might want to rethink claying your car yourself next time. What made you think it needed claying in the first place?