1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clear spelling out of iPod options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bigashley, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bigashley

bigashley New Member

Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. I am about to buy a 2010 Prius and have a question about iPod integration. I know a lot has been shared about this and I'm trying to put it together but it's still not clear to me.

Can someone clearly spell out the iPod options for me, particularly if I am not planning on getting the nav system with the USB port?

I know I do not want to do anything over the radio frequencies and I want a clear connection. So for example I recently replaced the stereo in my second car with a stereo with native USB.

I'm heading to the dealer tonight so timely responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    from this thread

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...cs/69211-2010-ipod-integration-kits-help.html

well, i got back from hackensack toyota today where i was the "Guinea pig"; all with my approval. the ipod interface is the usa spec #pa20-toy.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=34&forceShowProduct=1

the instructions didn't list the 2010 but, we were assured it would work with my jbl, non-nav, embedded sat unit. since this is a new car, and we are in "uncharted waters", it took toyota a few hours to get it installed and working. the physical installation was easy while the setup took a lot longer. the techs had to call usa spec several times because the instructions are a little lacking when it comes to the finer technical info on setup. the missing info for the 2010 model were the dip switch settings. the three dip switches had to all be set to "on" not the off-on-on. all the cables hooked up properly.

my gen 3 ipod video classic, plugs in, turns on and charges. when the car is turned off it seems the ipod is off. at this point i'm still wondering if its still drawing on the ipod battery or not. I'll know tomorrow.

sound is very acceptable from the jbl system.
    it does playlists.
    it works with the steering wheel controls.
    press the disc/aux button to use it.
    it shows the artist and song name when you scroll through the text button.
    all "disc" numbers below are changed by using the #3 (up) and #4 (down) head unit disc buttons.
    the seek and track buttons are used for up and dwn song selection.

now for the downside

1. it only sees 6 playlist. disc #1 through #6. no artist or album.

2. the playlist name doesn't show up on the head unit, only the playlist number, song number, and minute counter. you can use the text button for artist and songs.

3. playlist naming -each playlist as the instructions say, can start with TOYOTA1- TOYOTA6. mine was also working with the designations 1-favs...2-60's music etc. i switched to TOYOTA1- TOYOTA6 , only, and that works. i didn't try both at the same time.

4. disc 7 - shows all songs as numbers. all input is done through the head unit or steering wheel.

5. disc 8 - shows all songs as numbers. all input changes are done on the ipod alone except volume ...i guess. another fine point i need to check.

6. disc 9 - aux input bypasses steering and head unit controls just like the regular aux. maybe for passenger use?

7. it's a little slow when scrolling anything. if you scroll too fast it will catch up but, then sometimes go back down like it's a little confused. i have to play with this a little more.

special thanks to toyota of hackensack for getting this installed as best as anybody can at this time with the given choices out there. even though there is limited control with this unit, it does work which is fine for my "playlist only" use.

3. stormgrey

stormgrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    PLEASE can you tell me where the dip switches are? Are they on the usb add on unit or the Prius head unit?

techs had to call usa spec several times because the instructions are a little lacking when it comes to the finer technical info on setup. the missing info for the 2010 model were the dip switch settings. the three dip switches had to all be set to "on" not the off-on-on. all the cables hooked up properly.

Thank you in advance

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The radios seem to vary be country.
    You are responding to an 8 year old US thread. :eek: