1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clearing codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beanmat, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of an old thread.

I use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS

It comes with instructions, btw. Which makes getting a bluetooth connection a piece of cake.

And an app for my smartphone called Torque Pro. It was $4.99 years ago and seems to have no problem migrating to a new phone. I'd give the app 4 stars and it does clear codes (cleared a code on my 03 Prius.)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What scan tool showed you that code? Usually, the tool also has an option to send a clear-codes order.

I agree with Patrick that the interesting question is why you had C1259.

C1259, if I remember right, is a code from the brake computer, only meaning that some problem has been reported to it by the hybrid-vehicle computer. Those two have to talk, because if the HV computer knows of some problem that would interfere with regen braking, the brake computer needs to know that.

In such a case, the code(s) revealing what the real trouble is will be those reported by the HV computer. And it's possible, if you just used a generic scantool, that you don't get any of those codes, the ones you really need to see, but you only see the C1259, because the brake computer is one that generic tools know to look for.

-Chap

3. Dj Huo

Dj Huo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello, Can someone give me information about clearing codes: C1213 and C1259 Here's the story:
    I bought a 2001 prius with a hybrid battery problem it wouldn't start. Got it towed and replaced the hybrid battery with one that was working on a disabled prius I had.
    Now the car starts and drives but the codes come back after clearing them.
    is there a special procedure to do when you replace the battery? I have just ordered the mini VCI code reader.
    is there a way to reset the brakes ECU?

Thank you

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait until you have received Mini VCi so that you can determine the full extent of logged DTC. If DTC come back after you've tried to clear them, then it seems obvious that an underlying problem exists. Hence, you should try to figure out what that problem is, rather than worry about how to clear DTC.

5. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Damn "Check hybrid system" is back on. I'm outside and I'm trying to reset the codes disconnecting the 12V battery. For how long does it have to stay disconnected? I already done it for 1 min and it wasn't enough. Please I need to get home I'm on the side of the road right now and the electric motor stopped working, only the ICE is on. Thanks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Above all else, don't take any risks that compromise your personal safety. I have not (yet) experienced a failing hybrid battery, but I believe there is a limit to how far you can go before the car simply refuses to go any further. Possibly the code is being reset by unplugging the 12V, but is coming back as soon as you power on the car. Do you have AAA in Mexico or something equivalent? A tow might be your only option at this point.

7. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Done it. 5-6 min with the battery disconnected worked. Its not the first time it happens. But its the first time I had to reset it myself.

8. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I suspect when you get that code, it may have something to do with the HV battery's temperature. Possibly allowing it to cool for a few minutes will allow you to drive it further. That may be the reason the code will not reset immediately. Just a guess.