1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clearing P1128, P3191 Codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sandy11246, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Results of troubleshooting and repairing 2003 Prius P1128 & P3191 codes

These codes appeared a week or so prior to the vehicle finally slowing down and eventually stopping. I had cleaned the throttle plate about a month earlier and cleared a previous code. Vehicle ran normally until the last situation where the P1128 and P3191 set.

After some research I cleaned the throttle plate again and also removed and cleaned the MAF. If you deside to use this procedure be SURE to use an approved MAF cleaned. I used CRC from Walmart along with their throttle plate cleaner.

During this process I replaced the PCV valve as I assumed it had not been done in “forever” That was a chore in itself.

After completing these task, I cleared the P1128 and P3191 codes and restarted the engine. Vehicle ran a short time then engine shutoff and codes returned. I tried this procedure several time with the same result. Frustration was beginning to set in at this point. At this time I desided to take a break and wait until the next day.

Next procedure began with clearing the codes, disconnecting the 12V battery and attempting the restart the vehicle. The same results as previous returned. I attempted this several times, each time the remained the same.

At this time I decided to disconnect the MAF and TPS sensor connectors and reinstall them. Do this just to to ensure good contact. After reconnecting the the MAF and TPS I disconnected the 12V battery and waited about 30 minutes to reconnect it. Started vehicle with accelerator pedal depress about 40%. Engine restarted and continued to run. Held accelerator depressed for a short time (about 90 seconds) then released it, engine continued to run, No codes or red triangle, and all systems seemed normal.

Drove vehicle about 10 minutes without any defects.

For those courious both batteries were good during all these test and operations. 12V battery reads 12.2V – 12.4V OC and 13.47 with KOER. All main cell on HV battery between 16.03 – 16.3 KOER and 15.96 -16.02 KOEO.

I realize this is lengthly but hoped it would help anyone confronting a similar issue. I have only had this vehicle since September and have had a few small issues: Inverter pump, P0420, P1128, P3191 etc.

I have changed engine oil and filter, transmission fluid, inverter pump and coolant. The vehicle had 221,480 when we purchased it, so was expecting so issues. Still learning as I go. Love the challenge.

Best tools in the box are Mini VCI w/Techstream, Fluke 87 III and a Pico 212 dual trace scope.

Hope this helps folks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great stuff, thank you!(y)

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  3. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Second day, so far no lights or codes. Vehicle appears to operate normal. Will keep you’ll posted.

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the basement and the best part of the forum. I guess the only thing I'd add to your tool kit is a set of manuals. They are very detailed and useful--but spendy. I have $200 in my Gen 1 Prius manuals. Good luck, keep us in the loop.

BTW, the learning curve on these cars isn't too bad I'm shoulder deep in a Porsche Boxster (engine & transmission on the carport floor) and it' is a puzzle compared to the 02 & 03 Prius.

5. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have Repair Manual for Gen 1s on CD and a paper manual of 2003 wiring schematics. Found schematics are a must on any newer vehicle. Wish I had some info on the operational strategies of the systems and how they interface. Give me a 6 months and I'll have these things figured out. Still not sure why it took many recycles of clearing codes and 12V disconnect to completely clear defects from system.
    We've had fairly cold weather lately (zero and below) and this could have affected the vehicle, but battery voltages stayed well within limits so I have to assume that was not the issue.
    Love this forum, it has been a great aid to this novice in the learning process.

6. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's been a week since repair and all appears well. The acceleration has also improved. Cleaning the MAF helped that, I'm sure. Weather here has been up and down, but hasn't effected vehicle. Still having issue with the MFD blinking but appears to function as designed. Will see how that plays out, but I'm sure it won't fix itself. My guess for now is it is in the display itself. Does anyone know if all Gen 1 displays are interchangeable. This car has navigation. Thanks to all for the data this site provides. Peace.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is your background, do you consider yourself a car enthusiast, do you have any automotive training? You sound like you are using the tools of a professional to get the job done.

Are you familiar with Scannerdanner.com, one of the biggest YouTube troubleshooting guys? He uses brake cleaner to clean MAF sensors and has used it for years with no problems. He is a veteran instructor at Rosedale Tech in Pittsburgh Pa.

http://www.scannerdanner.com/index.php

8. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have extensive background in both aircraft and automotive maintenance since the 60's. Also developed and taught an Automotive Technology program @ community college. Master Tech with an L1, but this area is a learning experience for me. I'm also an iatn member. I'm retired but can't seem to give it up. I purchase the Prius to replace a '91 Civic we owned. Wanted to have one that many miles and age to use as a test bed. As my experience was very limited with hybrids, this seemed the best way to improve my understanding. So far I'm at least up with it but I think there is much more here for improvement. In this case I am a novice. Hope to post info as I cross and solve different concerns as it may help others. Sorry this is long, but you asked so here is some of my background. Peace.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Want you want to obtain for this, is the "New Car Features" Manual. I believe it can be sourced on Toyota Technical Information System (TIS) for a 2 (business) day subscription for $15. @ChapmanF can confirm that if he stops by this thread and if it is not there he may be able to give some pointers on where to find it.

Congratulations on the repair, BTW and welcome to PriusChat.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, that's the book you want. Of course, it's no longer a "book", it's just the "NCF" tab once you sign in to techinfo and enter your model and year. (The other tabs are RM for repair manual, EWD for electrical wiring diagram, TT/SB, SC, ACCY, CR, QTG ... more on what they mean, and finding your way around techinfo, in this post).

There's also a "Library" tab located up at the top of the screen, where you can find stuff like entire Toyota technician training course materials. In the two days you get for $15, whatever interests you, you aren't going to run out of material.

One thing about the New Car Features manual, it used to be smallish. For Gen 1 it was 192 pages, like a coffee table magazine. You could take it to a comfy chair and flip through it, and after a couple hours have a pretty good idea what most of the important stuff in your car does and how.

For Gen 2 it doubled. Still reasonable, sort of medium floppy schoolbook size if you find a physical one (out of print at helminc.com last I checked, but they pop up on eBay from time to time).

Online, of course, you don't really think in "pages" as much, and that kind of explains what happened to the Gen 3 and even more so, Gen 4 manuals. Remember, the New Car Features manual is the one that's supposed to be this convenient introduction to the most important systems in the car. But since 2011, after they stopped printing paper ones, no more per-page printing and binding costs, that also seems to have meant no more senior editor standing up in the meeting and saying "Really? It needs a whole section on how your heater flap motor works?!" So the newer ones are comprehensive down to really obscure details ... still interesting, but I have no idea how many "pages" are in, say, the Gen 4 NCF, should you be so silly as to want to print it out.

-Chap

11. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Indeed. For @sandy11246, I recommend two books, the first being the most useful:
    • 2001 Prius New Car Features, Pub. No. NCF182U
      (the one @ChapmanF mentioned; covers Prius only)
    • 2003 Model New Car Features, Pub. No. NCF228U
      (covers several Toyota models with minor changes for 2003, including Prius)
    They’re not quite old enough to appear on RetroJDM.com, but an eBay seller has both at reasonable prices:

2001 Toyota Prius Hybrid Features Manual useful for 2002 2003 Service Training | eBay ($19 + shipping)
    2003 Toyota New Car Features Manual Avalon Celica MR2 Echo Camry | eBay ($18.99)
    In the August 2016 release for the fourth-generation Prius, there were 425 topic pages in the U.S. (NM3200U) and Japanese (NM3220J) editions and 470 topic pages in the European edition (NM3211E).