1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking & Creaking Noise when turning, braking, accelerating!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi guys

i keep hearing this painful creaking noise each time I turn the wheel. I think it mainly comes when I turn left, and it was also present last night when I braked and accelerated...

It's like a CLICK, CLICK, CLICKKK creaking noise - almost like some metal is being twisted and something's about to break!

what could this be and what sort of things should I be looking for?

pictures/videos/indepth descriptions/instructions are all welcome :)

Many thanks in advance

2. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may be worthwhile to add that this prius has previously been in a heavy collision (category C) in which the chassis was bent (behind the front driver-side wheel) and the lower part of the engine was pierced. So it was all probably taken apart and re-built/installed again.... and I don't think the workmanship on it has been very good, based on quite a few novice loose ends/errors that we've previously spotted.

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for that Steve

Would anybody else know how I can test if it is a faulty CV joint?

I've just watched a few videos on how to replace these, and it seems pretty straight forward - I just need a way to make sure it is exactly that...

I can get my hands on a jacking up tool aswell if needed

5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did abit of DIY testing...

when turning the steering left/right - a clicking creeking noise comes out of the right side axle. I can't pinpoint the exact location just from the sound. The same sort of sound comes when you apply the brakes - again, only from the right side.

whilst i was there - i took photos of that whole area. I found that the rubber boot seemed to be in good condition...

I have a feeling, based on what I've read across the internet and seen on youtube - it quite possibly could be the CV joint - in which case, there may be a way to strip it all down, and re-furbish it, by flipping the inner core piece back-to-front.

Would a bad CV joint make creeking noises upon stand-still braking though? What else could it be? I mean, what else would have these symptoms?

Attached Files:

6. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my front right side wheel resembles these type of noises (in below videos)....It occurs at standstill, and when I apply the brakes:

Could it be to do with the ball joint?

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My money is on the CV boot(s) are/is torn, the grease has come out, the dirt and water has gone in and 1 or both outer CV joints are now buggered. Clicking in turns while accelerating and maybe a creaking accelerating and braking in a straight line.

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it sounds like the videos check your disc pad thickness. It might be the brake wear indicators. Could also be strut top bearings or ball joints. Really, without hearing it and getting my hands on it it is so hard to come up with a definitive answer.

9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you patsparks

okay - it may be worthwhile me taking a video of my one....

it is pretty similar to those 2 videos above. Upon being stationary - the car making that creaking noise if the wheel turns or if the brakes are applied

is there any tests that i can carry out in order to narrow it down?

i have put a car axle jack on order and so will soon be able to jack it up

cheers

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally Sam, I'd diagnose something like this hands on. Video only gives the noise not direction or feel. I'd put a hand on the top of the strut while someone turns the steering and a hand on the lower ball joint while turning. Feeling for vibrations. If there is noise from the brakes stationary, I would check caliper slides and that they are lubed. It may be 2 issues, not just 1. It is very easy to check that the disc pad lining is at least 2mm thick top and bottom, inside and out. Wheels off to do a good job. Never get under the car on a jack, always use stands and chock the wheels and not in ready mode.

11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just received my new car axle jack, and just awaiting my torque wrench..

Out of interest - what level of torque should be set on the wrench when tightening the nuts on the wheels of the Prius?

Thanks

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam the wheel nut torque is 76 ft lbs.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  13. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent - thanks John

I've been way too busy lately and so will get working on my car as soon as i get a moment

...need to get rid of that creaking noise as it really does sound quite scary at times - almost like something's about to break

anyway, i hope all else is well on the western front (or in your case, the northern front)

:)

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No I'm on the western front. Like you I've been a little busy this week. I will give some thought to your noises and see what I can come up with.I'll send you a PM shortly.

John (Britprius)

15. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    slightly digressing here but out of interest, would you know about sat nav systems?

I was thinking of picking up a cheap one off ebay for around 35 quid, but then I had a thought - how about buying a GPS receiver and somehow connecting it to the Prius in order to make use of its screen? Is there any way to make use of its screen and install a sat nav system onto it?

the thing is - I also wanted a sat nav system which comes with a live traffic feed of some sort so I could avoid traffic jams etc...I know a model by Garmin (2455LMT) provides this for free - TomTom charge a subscription for this service.

thoughts welcome on this...

its not a major project but something i wouldnt mind having - especially with all the tight roads, traffic, speed cameras etc that are in London!!

thanks

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find the satnav built in very good and it does update traffic using the local radio network and the voice commands work well. However the consensus of opinion here says go with a a Garmin or Tomtom.

There is now no way to use the inbuilt screen easily although I think it was garmin that did make a unit to do this, but no longer available. Fitting a unit from a breakers requires a lot of work and would still cost much more than a stand alone unit. Theft however is then a problem.

John (Britprius)

17. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmm - yeh - good point

I'm just looking for a unit which comes with a Traffic Receiver functionality (TMC i think) - and on Ebay, they look pretty well priced but didn't want to really go over £50 - so let's see. China offer many models, but do not know about buying technology from China via ebay

the search continues...

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a replacement radio unit (from china) that a number of people have fitted on PC, with a pop up screen with sat nav. This however would be well over your budget.

John (Britprius)

19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i was driving through Prince Albert Bridge in Battersea just the other day and for some strange reason, it has narrow metal poles on each side that the car needs to go through. I got through okay but then it was followed up with a tight pavement which ended up hitting my front driver side wheel and damaged some of the alloy! I'm in a really bad mood about this because I'm unsure if the wheel has been damaged or alignment affected.....why would they make it so tight on the entry and exit of that bridge! Very annoying.

Should I be okay? I mean the car runs okay but I'm just concerned that the wack that it received from the pavement may have hurt it in some way...

I'll be jacking the car up very soon in order to check for where those creeking noises are coming from and so any other tests/checks that I can carry out will be more than welcome

thanks again

20. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sam, try bouncing the car in place, with the parking brake on, rather then rolling it back and forth. That should eliminate brakes from the equation. It sounds to me as if the noise is coming from a suspension joint or bushing. Note in the video that the noise is timed with the suspension compression and extension. The ideal way to diagnose would be from under the car on a drive on lift, but car ramps at all 4 wheels might work as well, with a helper jouncing the body .