1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking from fusebox while charging 12v battery - normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mscholtz, Mar 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a drained battery, did a jumpstart to raise voltage, now am charging it w/ a Noco Genius G3500, via the terminal in the fusebox under the hood. Charger says it's charging, and is currently at 25% or lower.

Question is: as it's charging I hear a constant ticking sound from the fusebox area, as if a relay is opening and closing. Maybe 1-2 clicks per second. Is that normal? Or the sign of a problem w/ the charging?

Thanks!

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO it is not normal.
    I suggest that you should disconnect the battery from the car while charging.
    The battery might be TOO dead for the charger to handle it.

3. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    @sam spade 2 thanks. It was initially too dead for the charger to handle it. As in initially the charger just wouldn't charge, didn't recognize the battery at all. So following Noco's recommendations, I jump started the prius for 5 mins from another vehicle. That got it to the point where the charger recognized the battery and started its charge cycle. But it immediately started the clicking. And now it's back to not recognizing it, not going into charge cycle.

I'm concerned that if I remove it from the vehicle the charger still won't recognize it and won't charge it. Should I do another longer jumpstart first? Or feel free to just tell me what I should do.

Thanks everyone!

4. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also: what is the right setting on a Noco G3500 to charge the prius 12v? Is it 12v AGM, or 12v "small" AGM (which it says is for Up To 35Ah Batteries)?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its a larger 45 ah agm.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That clicking is probably the abs brake vacuum pump called the brake actuator. it sounds like a rattlesnake. If it’s starts constantly doing that it has a leak and must be replaced. Very common and very expensive.
    It will throw a code on the dash and the brake pedal will get hard as a rock.

Like just about every poster on here you didn’t post the mileage on your car so not sure how likely it is.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Get a new battery ?????
    That likely is going to be the only real solution.
    And you don't have to remove the battery in order to disconnect it.

Even if you could find a high capacity "manual" charger that would boost it, all the evidence indicates that it wouldn't last very long.......or might not even take a charge that way either.

It makes little to no practical difference.
    And in your situation......ZERO difference.

And like many of your posts, THAT advice will just be misleading and useless UNTIL he gets the electrical problem solved.

#7 sam spade 2, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2021