1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking noise under hood, rapid and rhythmic, when car is on 'ready'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DeeTrumpet, Aug 16, 2015.

1. DeeTrumpet

DeeTrumpet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The sound emanates approximately from the area of the coolant storage tank (driver's side, behind the front bumper), though I doubt the tank or its pump is the problem. It sounds only when the car is in 'ready' status. I also think it is not one of the relays in the nearby fusebox. There water-pump drive belt is not on that side, so I don't think it's the water pump or its idler pulley. I have posted a ten-second sound recording on YouTube, greatly amplified. (Ignore the video portion.) Help!

exstudent likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to get that checked out since the noise is definitely abnormal. Maybe the engine coolant valve has a problem?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the samba, how many miles on her?

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1 on the 3-way coolant control valve. I remember reading a similar posting w/ an uploaded audio clip

No check engine light is on?

Coolant level in radiator, radiator overfill bottle, and inverter overfill is sufficient?

EDIT:
    If radiator is very low, you might have to bleed the engine cooling loop.

IF 3-way coolant control valve has never been replaced, consider just replacing it.
    Part Number: 1667021010
    $62.38 at North Hollywood Toyota (N Hollywood, CA)
    $63.94 at Camelback Toyota (Phoenix, AZ)
    $77.26 at Carson Toyota (Carson CA)
    $60.86 at San Bernardino Toyota (San Bernardino, CA)

You would have to let the parts person know that you want the Internet price, and that you will do will call pick-up. Assuming its in stock, they will set it aside for you.

#4 exstudent, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    valde3 likes this.
  5. DeeTrumpet

DeeTrumpet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In this amplified audio, it sounds exactly like the clacking of vintage windshield wipers.

2004 model, 140,000 miles. No check-engine light, no codes. Coolant recovery pump makes the usual correct sound on startup and shutdown.

I haven't checked coolant levels yet - stupid me!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will need to remove the large black plastic panel over the radiator for access to the radiator cap. Do not rely upon an observation that the overflow reservoir has sufficient coolant and then assume that all is good.

7. dhbprius

dhbprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2005 is making the exact same sound. Did you ever fix it or find out what the sound was? The techs at my local dealer are clueless.