1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking Sound on Regen Braking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Notquiterite, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s a good point. The bulletin doesn’t mention it, but the installation procedure in the Repair Manual was recently changed to add a step:

(a) Coat the snap ring of the front drive inboard joint assembly with MP grease.​

The drive shaft assembly is a resuable part, so I imagine if lubrication alone could correct the problem, Toyota would have instructed dealers to do that rather than replacing the assembly with a new one.

Marcius likes this.
  2. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

My thinking was that maybe they came from the factory not well lubricated thus causing increased wear after enough usage.

3. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a sure way to identify that the ticking or clicking is axle related or not?

I noticed this on my wife's 2016 with just under 30K miles on the clock. The ticking or clicking when braking is heard from inside the cabin very faint and as faint with thr windows rolled down. So I'm unsure what it could be.

If it were axle related wouldn't it make a noise when that hub area is under load when turning for example ?

Thanks.

SM-N960U1 ?

4. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

Someone posted a video of the exact sound in one of the threads.
    Mine failed at less than 16k miles on a 2016. Best way to know for sure is to have a toyota tech check it out imo.

5. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah I know, but they wont hear it until it's out of warranty.

SM-N960U1 ?

6. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Maybe.. they heard mine. A warranty repair is free for us, but the dealership still gets paid. They bill Toyota, but it is at a reduced rate than they would bill us.

If the dealership is hungry for work they will tend to respond better. Its no different than the 2 years of free oil changes. Nothing is really “free” at the dealership, they recovery money from different sources when something is free.

7. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well as if by chance, I opened a letter today from Toyota stating that I need to get the sonar reprogrammed due to it inadvertently activating the brakes if in a car wash. Lol

SM-N960U1 ?

8. dc0786

dc0786 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I acquired a 2016 4 Touring a few months ago, noticed this noise around a month or so ago... exact symptoms, from the LF side of the car during regen/gentle braking 5-15mph more so when the car and weather were cooler. 55k mi, had it in for an oil change at my local Toyota dealer in Orlando and described the problem and indicated that I knew of a TSB addressing it. I indicated that I wanted to put it on the record since my powertrain warranty was expiring soon.. SA seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and was very willing to help. After a diagnosis they asked to keep the car until TUE and indicated that the part was on order and would be covered under the powertrain warranty... seems like this is a common issue. Hopefully this resolved the clicking noise, will post back if I have any other issues... thanks for everyone’s thorough input on this feed. :)

bluesman13 likes this.
  9. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you hear the noise, and then while still braking switch to neutral, and the noise goes away, it is almost certainly this problem. If the noise doesn't go away in neutral, it could be just about anything else.

Turning load doesn't exacerbate the noise as much as regen braking because it is the inner CV joint making the noise. Try to drive with a building to your left in a parking lot somewhere, you should hear the clicking noise bounce off the wall. It is extremely obvious when it stops when you put it in neutral.

10. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cheers. Already did that, in neutral no noise so its it. I've booked it in already.

SM-N960U1 ?

11. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just took mine in and they say they "can't " hear the click tick noise. Here we go...

SM-N960U1 ?

12. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My recommendations are to record a video if you can, and to drive in a quite parking lot somewhere with a building to your left with the windows down so the sound echoes back in, both in the video and the test drive. Stick the phone out the window and try to use the mirror to block the wind noise. For me, having a video of the sound made the difference. I showed it to them before the test drive so they knew what they were looking for. They were also able to keep a copy of the video to show to Toyota corporate. Make sure you drive the car. Mention TSB 0157-18. It will be soooo much easier now that there is a TSB.

@Tideland Prius

Is there any chance we can get the first post edited to reference the new TSB?

13. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He'll hear it when I take him for a drive. Its not loud enough to record , the dash rattles are would drown it out.

SM-N960U1 ?

14. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorted.

20190201_153559.jpeg

SM-N960U1 ?

15. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear it. While I don't think it is a critical safety issue, and I know of some instances of people dealing with the noise all the way to 200k miles, it is an annoying noise and is definitely worth fixing. The noise keeps getting worse, to a point, and then just stays the same from there on out.

16. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much for this repair?

17. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Free under powertrain warranty, probably around $1000-$1200 most places in US with labor and parts outside warranty at the dealer. Could probably be done around 750 at an independent mechanic, or you could buy the part off the internet and do it yourself for around 350, assuming you could find a good deal. It is actually a pretty simple repair.

orenji likes this.
  18. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure if its related or perhaps I've never noticed it before. But in stop go traffic if for example I'm doing less then 10mph and tap the gas pedal slightly I hear/fee a slight noise judder, like something is moving under the tranny or engine area.

SM-N960U1 ?

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be a bad engine mount.

20. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got it done today. Hopefully they did the allignemment. I didn't get a print out for it.

20190211_165340.jpeg

SM-N960U1 ?

krmcg likes this.