1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking Sound on Regen Braking

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Notquiterite, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not liking all these Gen4 problem threads! And just as many Prime problem threads. I still think Toyota build quality and parts quality as gone down hill. Have no idea (yet) which car or truck I will buy next, but it sure won't be Toyota.

What is the cost of that repair if the warranty has expired?

2. EdW

EdW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I asked the same question of the service department and “about $700” is what I was told. And I agree; my last car was a 2003 Honda Accord I bought new. My Prime has spent more days in the shop in 30,000 miles than my Accord did in just over 300,000. I'll think twice before buying another Toyota.

Starship16 likes this.
  3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't mean to sound so negative, but there sure seem to be a lot of mechanical issues with recent-years Toyota vehicles. Even the ultra-reliable Corolla has had many recalls in the past few years. (Somebody sent me a link to the recalls.) And my 2016 Prius has had three.. or four? and two or three TSB's issued.

Buy my Toyotas of the past ('95 & '05 Camrys) didn't even have a minor rattle! Zero problems.

When I bought a Prius, I was thinking this thing will be bullet proof! Toyota has been building them for 20 years?? Surely all the bugs must be out by now! Some people blame it on the Gen4 being a new design... Horsefeathers! It's still a Prius.

#143 Starship16, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  4. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I agree, I put 333K on my previous 03 Matrix and did most if not all of the very few service items myself but if this repair came up again on my Prius I would probably wait and see if it causes any issue. There was some previous posters that said their other Prius's in previous generations all made this noise but the thing is, why don't new ones make the noise and why doesn't mine make the noise now after the repair?

5. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Quality has gone down on all brands. After all if people are replacing cars every 10 years what's the point in making them last 20?

That all being said, normally a CV axle is around $100 for the part (I should say, it should be), being so new it is likely that the prices are inflated and labor can be whatever that dealer or shop charges. Earlier in this thread someone was quoted $1,100.

Also, seems the majority of those who have posted in this thread it has almost 100% of the time been the driver's side CV axle, a few have had both or the passenger's side CV axle. Of course, there are probably many who have not had any problems.

All I can say is hopefully if it does happen it is before 60k.

Starship16 likes this.
  6. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    robsnyder20 likes this.
  7. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You make a good point. I know many people that replace their vehicles after only 4 or 5 years. I think most of those people lease? Or they own it, and just choose to sell it before the factory 5 yr/60,000 warranty is up.

I like my Prius. Most of the time. But it's kind of a love/hate relationship. It just seems to be kind of "fragile." (Lower quality parts? Rush to build?) And I just find it to be a very odd car, and even for a hybrid it seems overly (and unnecessarily) complicated. Especially hard to work on? Replace parts? They don't want us working on them... they want us in the Showroom.

Just the ramblings of an old guy, who likes things to be very simple and reliable. (Like when refrigerators lasted 20 years. :LOL:)

robsnyder20 likes this.
  8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't think they are crappy. But you are correct about the grass not being greener.... especially after looking at carcomplaints.com. All brands have problems. Maybe it's disgruntled or sloppy assembly line people. Who knows.
    Or maybe I was just very lucky in the past. And my parents had two old Toyotas, a 1984 and a 1997. I don't recall them ever having any problems with those cars. And my dad only changed the oil once every 2 years. :ROFLMAO:

If I was to change vehicles next year, I honestly would have no idea what to get. Except I would like something bigger for my tall fat body to fit in.

#148 Starship16, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    robsnyder20 likes this.
  9. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, not to be too contrarian, but I have found the gen 3 and 4 priuses to be the easiest cars to work on I’ve ever had. Things like oil changes, transmission fluid changes, spark plugs, brake service, and even the removal and reinstall of CV axles are super easy. All of the maintenance only needs to be done half as often too.

I’d also say the Prius is unbelievably reliable. They routinely make it 300k miles with nothing but standard maintenance and no failed parts, and even parts like the hybrid battery going out are cheaper than transmission repairs in a standard car like my old Explorer which needed a replacement at 150k.

Even this CV axle issue just seems to be a noise issue and not a failure or safety issue. I suspect the ones that are making noises will not progress behind that.

I only had two recalls, one to install a clip on the ebrake(a problem that only manifests if you exit the car while it is on and in drive and takes 5 seconds to do) and one to put some tape around some wires. I find this to be remarkable for a first or second model year after a substantial redesign.

Xterra72 likes this.
  10. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently I'm an outlier, had my 2017 Prius 2 for a year now (only do around 5k miles a year being retired), but no problems here. Haven't received the wire harness recall notice yet, but applied my own remedy as mentioned elsewhere.
    Reports of problems with anything usually have a bias though..."bad news travels fast" and "if it bleeds it leads", same is true here and most everywhere else. If "Good News" (i.e. no problems worth mentioning), unless asked directly through a "survey" etc. we don't hear about it....

krmcg likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 22K in 2 years with my 2017 with no issues. They inspected & re-taped my harness.But I did not trust my local (clueless) dealer with doing the recall so I drove 150 miles to the dealer that sold me the car.
    The local dealer could not even do the 5K check right. I do my own oil changes.

Marcius, Fester and krmcg like this.
  12. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here as far s the local dealer, I drive 50 miles to where I purchased my Prius 2 last year.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think I had somewhere around 48-50k on my 2016 Prius when it started making noise. All I can say is if it is under warranty get it replaced, no need to find out if the axle will fail or just make noise.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just dread the several trips to the dealer, taking time off work to make it there, the arguing back and forth about whether the problem exists or that they can’t hear it, the arguing about whether it’s normal or they all do it, the arguing about whether it’s the brakes and first they should do that(and charging me for it), or maybe the wheel bearings, and finally maybe they will replace the axle after 2 weeks or more of driving there and back and being several days without my car overnight, and hoping they did everything properly up to that point, know what I’m saying?

15. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @liquidtenmillion Give them as much information to isolate the problem. Also (and do check yourself) while you're coasting before slowing down shift the Prius into Neutral and then brake. If it is the CV axle, or I should say the same problem with the CV axle you will not hear the noise, only when the car is in gear. That should narrow their search and have the them ride/drive the car with you.

16. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that is my plan, it is definitely the CV axle problem, doesn’t do it in neutral, etc.

17. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure how far out of the way Asheville, NC is but that's where I had mine done. They will assume brakes but if you're firm with them they'll check it out and find come to the same conclusion. They can put mics on the exterior to better pinpoint the noise to confirm that it is the CV axle.

18. Rickyedger

Rickyedger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tell them to look at these threads. They gave me a loaner today. Mine started around 18k i have 23k now on a 2017. They did a brake tune up first and kept it for 2 separate days. Finally they rode with me and heard the noise. Its best if you test in a quiet area with a wall or cars on the driver side to reflect noise. I had to have the wheel strait going between 14-35mph slowly breaking. He kept slamming on the brakes and you couldnt hear it. I think its something with the regen system on the axel if that makes since

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back from the dealership, decent service but not exactly perfect.

I waited an hour and a half in the lobby when they finally came to get me they said they didn’t hear anything but found some type of traction control events.

I got the master technician to ride with me and got him to hear the noise and hear how it’s worse when turning to the right and how it instantly goes away in neutral, even while in the same braking maneuver. I sent him a video I have and the work orders in this thread and this thread itself through email.

He says he will call Toyota corporate and see what they want to do about it. They say they will call me tonight/in the coming days(man I seriously hope they do) I severely hope it’s axle replacement, as I am 100% sure that is the problem.

I did not sign anything or get anything in writing stating the technician heard the noise, but I have his email and name and sent the information through email. I left with the car.

Pray for me guys!!

robsnyder20 and krmcg like this.
  20. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, that is most likely the problem...but let's not pretend we're mechanics either. I think you've done your due diligence in giving them as much information as you can to point them in the right direction. Noises, intermittent ones, are real boogers to track down. So if you give them the conditions on how to recreate the noise 100% of the time, they'll find it.

krmcg likes this.