1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking sound under the dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott56, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the last couple weeks I have had this persistent clicking sounds under the dash. The car will be in park and even with the air not blowing it still does it. When I turn the air on it makes a creaky kind of fart sound and it does it again when I switch from cabin air to fresh. Is this an expensive fix? I have read that it might be some sort of air damper issue as far as the creaky door but not sure about the clicking. Does this mean the a/c is about to go out?

MickMalthouse likes this.
  2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the expense is the labor to get that deep into the dash.

4. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The heat and the cooling work great. I alternated them but it still continues. It sounds like it is coming from the center of the console underneath the Multifunctional display.

abqpat likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are other threads on clicking sound. other than the time bomb theory, i don't recall a solution.

6. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are multiple threads pointing to the air door service motor and the ticking is the timing being off balance. It looks like a motor replacement as using any sort of lubricant on those gears wouldn't help much. The dash is such a pain to take off. Part of me just wants to sell the car and get a toyota non hybrid but all modern cars these days have so many more electronic components to keep up with, it may just be trading one problem for another. I think I'll just blast the music and radio loud so I don't have to hear it.

bisco likes this.
  7. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I switched it to defrost and defrost with foot cooling and the ticking has stopped! Looks like I'll be face first in the floor boards on our 100 degree plus days :)

abqpat and bisco like this.
  8. akaab

akaab Junior Member

My 2004 (272,000+) has been making these clicking noises intermittently for years. Today it was continuous, but when I cycled the defrost on/off it immediately ended. It most definitely is associated with the mixing damper motor not shutting off. Probably a bad potentiometer or position sensor.

MickMalthouse likes this.