1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking Sound With Brake Pedal Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by salguod, Mar 30, 2019.

1. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's been a while since I've been here. My 2007 Touring is still going with close to 220K on it but has transitioned to my daughter and my wife is now driving a 2015 Accord Hybrid.

I have a brake clicking / creaking noise that I'm trying to diagnose. This video is the exact noise I'm experiencing:

The video has "Solved!" in the title, but no solution posted. It just says "Problem solved" in the description. helpful. :rolleyes:

The sounds happens when coming to a stop and when releasing the pedal and starting up again. It also happens if I press harder on the pedal or release pressure on the pedal slightly. So, if stopped and I press harder on the pedal and then release pressure but remain stopped the sound happens as the pressure changes. It happens even with the car off.

Braking performance is unchanged. No warning lights. It started doing this a long time ago, but then it stopped and has now come back.

The brake control computer was replaced with a used unit about 2 years ago at 191K.

I've seen a lot of threads on brake clicking, but none that seem to be this issue. Any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where does it sound like it's coming from, the wheel or under the hood?

3. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are two separate sounds.

Judging from the front of the car, with the car off:
    • There's a quieter ratcheting sound that comes from the are at base of the windshield. This sounds purposeful, meaning like it's a mechanism doing its job, and the car has done this since we bought it. This only happens when you first press the pedal, not when you release it. I'm not worried about this one.
    • The other noise, the one in the video, happens when the pedal pressure changes, either increasing or decreasing and sounds like it's coming from both front wheels. Each wheel makes the same kind of sound, but not at the same time.
    I'm wondering if it's caliper glides that need to be lubed. Might make sense as the calipers aren't getting used as much as a non-hybrid and I imagine they are used every time in the last few feet and to keep the car stopped. The noise happens most in the last few feet and when stopped.

2004priusgal likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could very well be. they are supposed to get inspected and lubed every 30k.

5. picassopigeon

picassopigeon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely caliper glides. Same noise that I have had on my 2004 gen II

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.