1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate change - anthropogenic or not?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by radioprius1, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewie

Lewie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's the operative word: "believed". I'm glad you've finally come around to realize that AGW is a belief system. It's liberating to go where the independently verified data lead. Prosthelytizing missionaries are very annoying, after all.

2. dg1014

dg1014 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Energy audit is done. All appliances are within current energy star guidelines. Heat and AC are all 98% efficiency units. Majority of usage is during daylight hours.

Home is more well insulated than any you will ever see. R40 exterior walls. R50 ceilings.

Average electric bill is between 50-65 dollars a month

3. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't even bother with him. Icarus believes if you add energy to water it turns into ice. What more needs to be said.

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So much for trying to keep it civil!

I hope the post Re: solar panels was informative. You are welcome!

5. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll listen to your posts about solar panels, because I know that's your job. Anything else, I am forced, after reading your posts, to be suspect of. Sorry.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I said, thanks for keeping it civil. Nice to know the rules of civility only apply to people you agree with.

7. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't want to nit-pick but the most efficient gas furnaces are maybe 96% and % efficiency doesn't have anything to do with AC.

Wow, very good!

OK, but how many kWh/month is that?

Since this is obviously off-topic for this thread - why don't we start a new thread just for the discussion of PV power and we'll follow it up there so it doesn't get lost here. PM me with the details.

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing that he might be using ~15-20 kwh/day which in a "normal house would be pretty darn good. In our off grid house, we get by with ~1 kwh/day but in the grid tied house, we average ~10 in the summer, 15 in the winter, with the bulk coming from a bathroom heater, and the hot tub!

I wish I could figure out a way to keep the hot tub warm without so many KWH. I've been playing around with the idea of using a flat plate collector and a storage tank since it is so much more efficient that using PV to heat the tub.

Hot tub could circ into the storage tank and pick up heat as needed, as long as the tank temp was higher than the tub set temp. Probably more trouble than it is worth.

10. Lewie

Lewie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What other energy sources receive taxpayer subsidies? Oil? Natural Gas? Nuclear?

Nah, wind farms are quite capable of nay-saying themselves, they don't need my help. Have you ever seen the huge wind farm at Altamont Pass east of San Francisco? At any given time it seems that many of them are kaput. I've seen as many as 50% or so not spinning. Yes, it was windy.

11. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great story about Rajendra Pachauri, a railroad engineer, and the head of the IPCC, conducting IPCC business using his TERI account. TALK ABOUT A CONFLICT OF FINANCIAL INTEREST (he was negotiating for funding to his home institution justified by those very same claims)!!! First the IPCC is busted for using non-peer reviewed literature, and now it's leader is pushing global warming while he stands to make billions if he can convince world leaders to pass cap and trade.

Pachauri used TERI email account to conduct official IPCC business Watts Up With That?

12. dg1014

dg1014 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont have a hut tub at my residence but on my recreational property I do.

however its not a commercially available unit. I designed it and built it with spare parts from our farm.

The tub itself is an old milk bulk tank cut in half. I purchased the pump and jets from a hot tub replacement parts catalog and installed them.

The heat source for it is the wood burning boiler that is used to heat the house as well. We get up there start the boiler and its ready to go in less than a half hour. The boiler is set up with zone controls for all of the buildings on the property

13. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We have one at our off grid house. It is a submersible wood stove that sits in the tub. The tub itself is a 6' galvanized stock tank. We built a plywood surround and covered the tub with 2" styrofoam. With the foam cover, it stays ~80f day to day, and so it heats up in about 1 hour to 105f. From a cold start, 36f water, it takes about 6 hours.

Pretty cool to be on the ice, with the northern lights dancing and singing, sitting in a hot tub, the nearest neighbour 50 mlles away.

15. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Using Altamont Pass as an example of a modern wind farm is like using a Model-T Ford of an example of a modern automobile.

The turbines used at Altamont Pass are obsolete. It would never get built today.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, and at the same time the temperature was over 40 degrees in Perth. Remember this is a discussion about climate, not weather.
    Perth hits 41.1C after hottest January night in two decades | Perth Now

So it was unseasonally cold at the tiny tops of a mountain but extremely hot over half the country, sure sign of global cooling.

17. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, sometimes Aussies can be like that Icarus. He attacked me to back in his early days here. That is just the style of debate.

18. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, when I posted that I was explicitly talking about weather.

It stemmed from a discussion I had with Icarus. Icarus was pointing out temperature anomalies in the northern hemisphere (for winter), and was describing how it seemed warm, for this part of the year, in the Arctic basin. Then he went on to say how warm Africa was, and how warm South America was, and how warm Australia was, and how that seemed odd for the "coldest part of the year." He failed to realize that the southern hemisphere is having their summer right now.

I posted the *weather* link about Australia because I thought it was funny that after his "oversight" that the next day I read a news article about snowy weather in parts of Australia. It was merely poking fun at Icarus after the big fiasco the night before.

It's funny how bent out of shape alarmists get any time anyone posts anything to do with the weather. Just like Icarus said "maybe they finally believe in AGW", you guys really treat AGW as a belief system. If someone pokes even the slightest bit you guys freak out and your brain shuts down to any outside input. I guess it's hard to stomach that you've invested so much energy into believing in global warming, and then you see that we can say that we've had 9 years of global cooling in a trend, or that even the climatologists (Phil Jones, etc), privately say that we've had global cooling since 1998, and we can show that there has been no statistically significant global warming since 1995.

I don't get it.

Eh, I would never say that we debated anything.

19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about a national grid and a blend of wind and solar? Combine that with hot rock (geothermal) and new thermal storage in solar heat collector arrays ( Solar power providing electricity 24 hours a day in summer | Beyond Zero Emissions ) then tidal. Use fossil fuels as a backup and there you have a stable mostly renewable energy grid.
    Somewhere on the continent of North America the wind will be blowing, and the sun rises 3 hours earlier in the east and sets 3 hours later in the west, and moves north and south. It would really only take a small portion of land to be covered in solar collectors to capture enough energy to meet all our needs. All those bare roofs are such a waste.

20. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder, what if it's all a conspiracy by the scientific/industrial complex. All intended to make Al Gore richer.
    Am I going to bet my grandchildren's lives and livelyhoods on it?
    I think not, I'll play it safe and do my best to do as little damage to the planet as possible.
    Tony Renier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.