1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate change - anthropogenic or not?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by radioprius1, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ""You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan

Radioprius1 - fixed your signature to reflect the actual non-modified quote...

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  2. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haha :) Yeah that's why I put [global warming] in brackets!

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Carl Sagan is spinning in his grave. I think he would take issue with calling peer reviewed information a belief.

2 people like this.
  4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    BTW - there's no need to wait for your hot water heater to give up the ghost. Most solar water heating systems feed directly into your existing hot water heater - that way if for some reason the sun didn't shine enough to heat your water up enough, you have a backup.

5. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think he would take issue with what you considered peer-reviewed.

6. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Go to 2:40

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In fact, a simple flat panel collector can feed into a DHW tank quite easily. Ideally, one would feed a collector into on tank, use this as a pre-heat tank, and install a gas/LP demand water heater to supplement the solar only as needed. So using your current water heater will work fine. If you don't add a demand, you will have to manage the thermostat of the water heater so that it isn't trying to heat water when the collector is, but always has enough hot water to serve your needs. Not real easy to do with a gas water heater, but not too hard with an electric. (My suggestion is to get an add on demand).

My simple flat plate collector ~30 sq ft provides ~70% of our hot water (2 people) on an annual basis in the Pacific NW. 30% in the winter, 150% in the summer. Today, with mixed sun and clouds, (more cloud) it raised the temp of the preheat tank from ~55f to nearly 80f (40 gallons). That is ~45%.

1 person likes this.
  8. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's funny. Sagan died in 1996, years before these ClimateGate morons started pushing garbage science on the public. Also, listen to what he said - the CO2 spreads throughout the atmosphere - shouldn't all parts of the earth be equally warming? Hello!

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  10. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    AGW REST IN PEACE

Climate Science Summarized

Remember those claims of “consensus” within the scientific community? We quoted Stanley B. Goldenberg, an atmospheric scientist at the Hurricane Research Division of NOAA, as saying “It is a blatant lie put forth in the media that makes it seem there is only a fringe of scientists who don’t buy into anthropogenic global warming.” That statement was proven true when hundreds of scientists came forward to protest the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference. The consensus seems to be crumbling as public opinion turns against what is now seen to be sloppy science.

“For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming? For how many years must cooling go on?” asks geologist Dr. David Gee, the chairman of the science committee of the 2008 International Geological Congress. A number of scientists who backed the CO2 based AGW theory are now suffering from buyer's remorse. According to atmospheric physicist James A. Peden, formerly of the Space Research and Coordination Center in Pittsburgh, “many [scientists] are now searching for a way to back out quietly, without having their professional careers ruined.”

We summarized our evaluation of the three pillars of climate science this way in The Resilient Earth: “There are three fundamental problems that limit the effectiveness of climate science. These are lack of understanding of Earth's climate system, inherent uncertainty in baseline data, and reliance on conceptual computer models for prediction of future climate.” Unfortunately, we still lack a good understanding of Earth's climate system, new discoveries not withstanding. Baseline climate data are no more accurate, perhaps even less so than previously thought, and computer models remain the perfidious oracles they have always been—that is their fundamental nature.

As we begin the last year of the first decade of the 21st century, those who would have us believe that mankind is causing catastrophic global warming are still perched precariously upon the three shaky pillars of climate science. But science changes and moves on, discarding failed theories while seeking new more correct ones. This should be particularly unsettling to those non-scientists who believe they know the truth about global warming but have no idea why. Perversely, their ignorance makes them more, rather than less, certain that they are correct. Witness the protests by NGO know-nothings at Copenhagen. Unfortunately for them, the case for anthropogenic global warming is crumbling like the pillars of an ancient temple.

Be safe, enjoy the interglacial and stay skeptical.

The Crumbling Pillars of Climate Change | The Resilient Earth

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are wrong, I'm not upset at all, I was just replying to you. You see, you need to stop making assumptions.
    I have too busy a life to read all of your dribble but I did see a couple of your lame options above.
    I have never read any books or seen any movies by Al Gore.
    I don't even think I am a member at realclimate or what ever.
    I base financial decisions on my finances and real economic considerations.
    I have a child, I may one day have grand kids, I have nieces and nephews and I care about the future of all of them. The earth has a finite amount of fossil fuels within it, have you noticed it is a sphere, so it isn't an endless void below us full of oil and coal. I will take the information in which makes sense to me, you and your religious group don't. Just like there is a pro smoking groups who spout that smoking is actually good for your health , there are crazy people who push all kinds of wacky ideas, some even think putting an extra blanket on their bed at night wont make them warmer!! Can you believe that? It's true!!

You know it is completely wacky that there are people on this very planet, people who breathe the same air as you and I who will tell you that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere acts as a blanket, retaining heat while allowing sunlight to reach the earth's surface (aparently a university degree is needed to understand this) therefore warming the ground, yet they don't believe that adding more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere will cause the average temperature to rise? Yes I know it's hard to fathom.

12. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They will never admit it! Any cooling that occurs is merely "masking the effects of global warming." They will be saying the same thing all the way into the next ice age!

Truer words have never been spoke. (Did you mean that protest against global warming that got snow stormed on? :rockon:)

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Waiting for my system to die is a financial decision. My tank is only 135 litres, I have gas storage heating. When the system dies I will replace it with an evacuated tube system, which appears on the evidence before me the best system for my location. Yes, I know it needs boosting, the system comes with instantaneous gas booster heater.

14. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll go with an "all of the above" answer for you then.

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh sh!t no, we are domed!! It snowed in Copenhagen in winter!!! Run, run while you still can!!!

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another assumption based on nothing.

17. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, I should change my forum name to "global warming" then!

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rather than make an assumption that the name was already taken I did a search of the member name list and you are in luck, the name is available!! I won't assume you are able to change your user name and I also wont assume you cant. My advice to you is to ask an administrator if it can be done.

Good luck with that.

19. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  20. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok RP1,

Since we have digressed a bit on this thread (hah, that's an understatement!) but since we have digressed here is a question for you.

I have told you about myself and my experience so the question I have for you is, What sort of MD are you? What kind of MD seems to have 12 hours a day to devote to posting to this forum?

I can't speak as a doc, but my good friend Jim who is a 30 year family doc, partner in a family practice leaves the house ~7 AM and is rarely home before 7 PM. Visiting him at his office on occasion, he rarely has time for more than a quick bite at his desk, all the while writing charts, reviewing script requests etc.

Thank you for your response

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.