1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate Control and Auto Wiper Problems

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Richardpwadams, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Richardpwadams

Richardpwadams New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Excel
    here is a run down of what seems to be happening. It would be great hear from anyone with insight into the issue.

- When I start the car the climate control doesn’t move any air (this is always after it has been sat for a while and the vast majority of the time even if the car has recently been running).
    - The ‘Auto’ button appears to be active with its light indicator but no temperature settings are shown in the console
    - After about 90 seconds one of two things happen. It either 1) turns off the climate control completely (the auto light goes off) or 2) the climate control temperature settings are shown but they always default to 22c rather than wherever I left them last time.
    - Basically, after 90 seconds the climate control appears to reset itself.
    - During the 90 second period the automatic wipers also are not working as expected. If it is raining they don’t swipe and if I toggle them off/on then they don’t do the single swipe that they would normally do to indicate that they have been enabled.
    - Once the climate control has sorted itself out it appears to work perfectly fine as do the wipers (i.e. the air con is cold, blows with the normal force, wipers come on if it rains etc)
    - Lastly, there is a 3rd issue which is to do with the air vent above the sat nav screen; only the right one blows, the left doesn’t. This is a constant issue as in it isn’t part of the 90 second issue below.

I am wondering though whether this broken fan (or whatever it is) could be the cause of the main issue though. If the car does a little self-check when it first comes on, if it can’t detect/spool up the broken fan, the self-check could be failing which puts it through a number of ‘re-try’ processes before bypassing the failure and turning on the climate and wipers.