1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate Control Malfunction

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rjdriver, Nov 8, 2016.

1. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Went out to vote this morning at 7. Thin coating of ice on the windshield. Used the washer to get rid of it rather than scrape or wait for warm up, so I didn't notice the issue before getting to the polling place which is only a mile or so away.

But after voting when I started the car I noticed the LCD display that shows the temperature, etc. was blank, completely blank. I pressed the Auto button, and it briefly showed that it said LO and went blank again. So I turned the temperature dial to the right, pressed Auto again and it still said LO, and also still went quickly blank. This was not going well on a cold morning. I tried hitting Off, AC, the air flow button, recirculate button, banged the whole section with my hand (not too hard) restarted the car, but nothing brought the LCD display back.

So now I just waited for the car to warm up and prayed this was just a temporary fluke. After a minute or so the display finally popped in and stayed.

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing. With over 100,000 miles I suppose I should expect things to start going. In the old days I would just crawl under the dash and manually move the lever over to bring hot water into the core, and throw a little silicone grease on it while I was down there. Now I am probably looking a a pretty expensive electronics replacement when this goes.

2. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This has happened to me two times; both times the "off" button was stuck. I simply depress the "off" button and all was well. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but it's worth noting. Good Luck.

3. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Will try that if it happens again.

AliIzad likes this.