1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Close Call

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SPEEDEAMON, May 18, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Awe man! I was looking for another one of those 'runaway Prius' stories.

Bob Wilson

2. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for exposing my true identity to the gentle folks at Priuschat. I'm the kind of guy your mother warned about not to go out and play with. My handle should have told you everything. :D

You probably live in an American dream community where everyone lives behind a white picket fence, beautiful flower gardens and where everyone is kind, courteous, friendly and goes to church and have dinners with their families at least once a week. You're probably on a first name basis with everyone in town.

Here in Los Angeles, we have different lives and traffic rules. There aren't any. We don't take an easy drive to the corner market or pick up our children in safety. We have none of that. We have to drive defensively to avoid being run off the road or tailgated by crazed drivers in Hummers, tall pickup trucks or Range Rovers with blazing lights 4 feet behind your rear bumper, especially if you're driving a Prius. More often than not, these are soccer moms who have missed a nail appointment and/or are late to pick up their child from day care. Add that to the drivers who pass you in the slow lane going 85mph weave in and out and try to force themselves in front of you so that you have to brake hard or change lanes to avoid hitting them. If you don't let them in, you better pray the guy is not a gang-banger because he's got a loaded gun on his passnger seat that he is proud to use. This is not a sometimes scenario. This is happening all the time. The volume of traffic we have in a day is more than the traffic you see in your town in 10 years time.

You're lucky you live in a closed society where everyone's an angel. The bad news for you is that we all want to move into your neighborhood including the gang-bangers and the tailgaiting Hummer drivers and be your neighbor.

So if you ever come here to Los Angeles, I suggest you stay in the slow lane and get out of everyone elses way, like I do normally but if you want to run with the big dogs in the fast lane, you better get ready to drive like everyone else, and that means driving defensively and keeping an eye out for anything and everything that might happen around you. :)

Any For Sale signs in your neighborhood?

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Speed...,

Ok apparently not. I just have a bad attitude anybody behind me when I am in the left lane. If the next lane over is doing 35, there is no way I am going any faster than 50. Even if there is nobody in front of me. Its just too dangerous. And many times I have been badly tailgaited in such situations, and there is no where to go, but ahead. To be able to exit the lane would require slowing to almost a stop and then forcing the car in sideways with feet fore and aft to spare.

When safely speeding you need to maintain a 200 yard or better situational awareness (knowledge of all cars and their relative speed to your car). If you cannot see around cars that far ahead, its just not safe to speed. Your experience surely illustrates this.

Like somebody pointed out, its 100 yards till you get on the brake pedal, and the second hundred to get down to a non-life-theatening speed. This of course assumes good road conditions, and everybody else on the road has a well maintained car, and is not yacking on the cell phone.

One of the main reasons to maintain such awareness is that somebody who slows sudenly, even gradually slowing, sticks out like a sore thumb. And that is the que to put the observational powers into high gear.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know how that is - I was a passenger once with a friend driving, traveling south in the right lane of a two-way city street. We had been stopped at a light where the cross street was one-way going west, and when the light changed my friend accelerated normally down the block and into the next intersection, where the cross street was one way going east ...

... and in the leftmost lane of that one-way street was an eastbound driver coming full speed at my door.

My friend could do very little besides accelerate some and veer left, neither of which could have prevented a collision, but the eastbound driver finally saw us and completed a panic stop about 24 inches from my right hip.

My friend just continued across the intersection and pulled over to breathe; the other driver just resumed driving and was gone.

And after breathing for a while my friend and I realized it was hard to be sure what had happened. Could our light at the 2nd intersection possibly have been red? Neither one of us thought so, but how else to explain cross traffic that isn't even slowing down? And anyway, shouldn't we have seen it coming?

It bugged me so much that just a few minutes after my friend dropped me off I went back to the scene myself with a timer (it was very close in time and late at night, so the signal timing should not have changed), and watched the signals at both intersections through several cycles. The one at the crossing where we had been stopped was actually the later one to go green, meaning that by the time we accelerated down the block and reached the next signal, it was not only unmistakably green but had been green for something like 13 seconds. The other driver had just been tooling down a straight clear street ignoring 13 seconds of red. And because they were on a one-way in the leftmost lane and there were some sight obstructions at the corner, there really wasn't any way we could have spotted them earlier than we did. All the luck in that story was in the other driver finally getting a clue and hitting the brake.

And I can still replay that sick feeling of not being able to remember what color the signal was right after the fact, before going back to time it.

-Chap

5. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Donee, we used to have a 2 second rule between cars to gauge safe distance. You would count 2 seconds between cars. Now its 3 seconds because we're going a lot faster. You would look at the car in front and find a stationary marker on the side of the highway like an exit sign and when the car ahead passes by you start counting: One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand. Its all fine to theoretically maintain a safe distance. Unfortunately here in Southern California, if you leave more than one car length between you and the car ahead, some aggressive butt-head will force himself in and the aforementioned situation posted above happens all the time.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's also a testimonial to the overcrowding on urban highways. There is virtually no way to keep assured clear distance in front of your car. It gets filled in as fast as you create it.

Tom

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, there is, set a speed limit that ensures that the reduced separation between vehicles is safe.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only if you are able and willing to enforce it, and then you end up reducing the amount of traffic that can move on existing roads. All of the tail-gating is already illegal. So is the speeding. Traffic enforcement in major cities is a joke. You will need a better plan than that. How about a complete overhaul of most urban driver's attitudes? It would probably be easier to simply eliminate half of all urban populations.

Tom

9. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's another close call I experienced last year. While driving in the middle lane southbound on the 405 Freeway, I came upon vehicles slowing down. So I slowed down as well. Then I heard this huge bang like an explosion and bits and pieces of tire came flying back, hit some cars but missed mine. A cloud of dust rose up as we all came to a screeching halt. A garbage truck 3 cars ahead lost its front left tire veered left across the fast lane and the HOV lane and lightly hit the center divider.

The incredible thing was that no one hit anyone and as the dust settled, the garbage truck driver came out to inspect the damage. The car in the fast lane missed t-boning the truck by about a foot and the car in the HOV lane stopped with barely enough space for the truck driver to come out. No one was hurt but it was close. There are many trucks on the highways with balding or near balding tires as I see carcasses lying all over the place but this was the first time I actually see one blow up. We should all inspect our tires when we fill air to see what condition the tread and sidewalls are in. And don't forget to inspect the ack surface periodcally as well.

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My ack surface is fine.

Most of those pieces of tire you see on the roads are retreads. Personally, I think retreads are a bad idea, but truckers use them to save a lot of money on tires. They fail more frequently than a regular tire. I think that there is a law that trucks can't put retreads on the front, since when a front tire blows, the vehicle is more likely to lose control than if a back tire blows.

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a roll of carpet nearly 2 ft diameter fall off a truck, and roll straight at me. I was traveling at least 70 (not a lane hogger). I knew the left lane was clear and swerved, just touching the brakes. No drama, the Prius handles fine. People who whine about Prius handling problems, should know that it seems to me to be fine for any emergency I've ever had to deal with. I drive 90 miles a day on LA freeways.

12. kd5yig

kd5yig New Member

I'd argue that only inspecting them when you fill with air would be a mistake. With TPMS, and the fact that the tires hold air well, I rarely have to stop to check air pressure.

One thing I picked up from my uncle who was a pilot is a quick "pre-flight" check if you will. I don't do it before I get in the car every time, but at least once a week, usually more often, I do a quick once around the car. Tire tread depth, sidewalls, bumpers, doors, any chips in the glass, nope we're good to go.

13. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Except in my case I check the pressure every 2 weeks because I have mine at 38psi fronts and 36psi rears and you would be surprised how much is lost in between. TPMS don't even come to play before its way too inefficient as far as mpg is concerned.

14. SPEEDEAMON

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey Subaru, let's move to Everett, Wash. They'll love us there.

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 2 (3) second rule is fine for legal speeds. But is woefully inadequate for illegal speed safety. As you found out, cars do not just stop at the maximum braking power sometimes. Sometimes they go smack in front of you and stop allot faster than the braking power of any vehicle brakes. This is why the situational awareness is so important.

If the other drivers wont let you drive safe, are you going to be a lemming and run off the cliff too?

The issue is, is safetly more important to you than the effects of letting that agressive driver get in front of you. Personally, I want those guys out front, so I can keep an eye on them all the time. The real problem is when they are beside you and try to drive over your hood. At least when they PIT maneuver themselves 100 yards ahead, you got time to react.