1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Close encounter of the LA kind...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rufaro, May 7, 2007.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, hunkey dorey...here I am in SoCal from my (comparatively)NoCal natural habitat...

Sis and bro-in-law, on Saturday am are off to their YAS (YOGA AND SPINNING) class in Venice. Me, I'd FAR rather look at the shops and galleries than sweat on purpose. So, I have this hour's worth of time to traipse from cafe to gallery to wee nook... Most of the way into my hour, I'm walking aong the side of the street wot is facing the traffic. I notice this funny lookig itty bitty car wot looks kinda like a wee refrigerator coming toward me and parking. Of course, as any Prian would do, I moved to the back of the car to see what it was. All I saw, on the back of this British hunter green itty bitty refrigerator was: "eCar" and "ac powered." Hmmmm...says I...So, when the guy parking gets out, I engage what passes for my brain and ask, "Golly gee, is this an electric car???" To which I get the answer, more or less, yes indeedy, and I get (I DON'T REMMBER THE #) miles per charge. So, there stands I, wearing my "CONSUME LESS GO HYBRID" cap, and I say, well, MY car is a Prius. The bloke driving the funny looking car says, says he, "Well, that's my OTHER car." So. Anyway. Picture this...here I am, Saturday morning in some bit of LA wot is NOT unfashionable...OKAY? GOT THAT??? I didn't just then. It took me about another block and a half to go...holy crap...THAT WAS TOM HANKS!!!!!! No...I DO know how to be cool and ignore stuff like that, but what flipped me out was that I had this chat with this, like, ya know, GUY...and THEN I figured out to whom I had been speaking. I HAVE said it before, and will say it again...It's not a car, it's a cult...I am liking to believe that he DID notice I did not know who the hell he was while I was talking to him...for backup for my current belief, see THIS CLIP. Much of my family is WAY Hollyweird, what with one thing and another. And another. And another...But they were all as chuffed about this one as I was...Yeah, ok. I'm a cheap date. So shoot me.

Apart from Darelldddddddddddddddd, how many people do we meet who can say, yeah, but my gas guzzler is my Prius...And have multiple Academy Awards????? (I can't be positive about that latter, but I THINK Tom Hanks has more Academy Awards than does Darellddddddddddd....feel free, as I know you all will, to correct me if I am wrong.

Hmmm????

Ok. Well my 14 yo nephew (who LIVES in LA) and my 19 yo son (who wants to be an actor/rock star) both think it was way cool.

And...If I can't rave about this encounter HERE...well, what's left??? (Hell...it certainly ain't RIGHT, izzit???? :rolleyes: )

Ok.

In the words of the immortal Emily Littela, "Never mind."

***kin' 'ell...I'm trying to type this on a quite aged iMac and not having a lot of luck.

Hmmm...

Maybe I should take this as a sign I shouldn't post this....

Nahhhh......

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's really cool. I've always liked Tom Hanks, and this just adds to my opinion.

Tom

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's a funny story. I fear I would have recognized him faster and ended up blubbering like a fan-boy.

It reminds me of an encounter I had in New York City: I was walking through Union Square with some friends, and I see this gorgeous woman walking a little dog. I swear I'm not the type to do this, but I gave her the up-and-down stare, and then made eye contact with her a smiled. She smiled back as she walked by. A few moments later as we walked farther away, my friend whispers to me, "did you see her? That was Famke Jannsen!" I said "who, where?" to which my friend replied, "that woman who just walked by." All I had noticed was that she was INCREDIBLY hot.

All the other celebrity-types I've seen in person, I've instantly recognized because they didn't have something like either an electric car, or stunning looks to distract me :)

4. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 7 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]436785[/snapback]</div>

Nice post. I knew Tom drove a Prius.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Rufaro you brought your NoCal. sensibilities with you to LoCal. Here in Marin it seems to be the unspoken rule to NOT approach the rich and famous. We leave them alone to go about their daily lives. At most a smiling nod to make contact. How can you tell Robin William's house in Sea Cliff? By the dinosaurs peek-a-booing. Around here, celebs are like gays. They improve property values by keeping prices high and by gentrification. And like 2 queens parting ways, celebrity divorce is a spectator sport providing lots of local entertainment.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I recognized him (and I probably wouldn't have, but that's beside the point) I would have told him about PriusChat. Unless he's already lurking here (or posting - OK, which one of you is it?).

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you didn't even ask him how many WeePriis he'd like?! ;)

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 7 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]436890[/snapback]</div>
    NOT GUILTY! I DO know better than to bug the rich and famous. I didn't realize who he was until after he was long gone. I mean, at first, all I saw was the back of his car, and, therefore, the back of his head. After he was out of the car, I saw this guy in a baseball cap and sunglasses (which I was also wearing--it was bloody bright out that morning). After I initiated the--brief--conversation, while he was locking his car--with a mechanical key--how retro!--he answered my question, continued walking, and the entire conversation took about as long as it took him to lock the car, come around tot he sidewalk, and continue on his way. C'mon MJ--give me SOME credit here, willya? I said in the OP that it STILL took me about a block and a half to figure out why the guy looked familiar, which was when I about passed out. AND, if you watch the clip I linked to, I think he was probably not unhappy to be asked about his electric car...It's not like I asked him to autograph my "CONSUME LESS. Go hybrid" cap or anything!<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 7 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]437012[/snapback]</div>
    THAT thought didn't occur to me until earlier today...And, contrary to popular belief, I don't ALWAYS have a spare WeePri about my person. None even in the full-sized one either, for a change...which also was not, at that point, anywhere about my person... :rolleyes:

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you described the car as looking a bit like a refrigerator, I thought it was going to be a Tango, and I had to watch the clip most of the way through to realize it was an eBox. The Tango is built right here in Spokane, but at $108,000 for a 55-mile range and zero cargo space, I decided against it and choose the Xebra instead.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ May 7 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]436710[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there's Tracysbeans, and in about a week I join the club when my Xebra arives. :)

10. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    haha cute story, that probably would have been something I would have done!

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 7 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]436890[/snapback]</div>
    Oh carp, MJ...I missed your point earlier...

Despite the fact that the entire rest of my family (two sisters, a bro-in-law--who I like WAY better than the sis to whom he is married--and mom and stepdad) live in LoCal (yeah, just noticed that and LOVE it), I have been NoCal since '92 (OTHER coast before that...though I WAS born in LoCal, but only lived there for 13 months thereafter, so I don't reckon it counts...mom and dad moved there from NY to escape the Wicked Witch of the East, aka my mother's mother...)

Heckfire...if it'd been a good catfight, I'd'a stayed a happy spectator. As it was, I was entirely clueless--not an unusual state for moi. Older sis was\is an Assistant Director in the biz...my nephew's baby shower was at Teri Garr's house. Stepdad was a flack for 20th Century Fox in the 60s, and now has his own brand of fame as an appraiser on Antiques Road Show (since show number one...)...MEA CULPA!

And Daniel...I have been MEANING to Google the car...thanks for saving me that bit!

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Ruf, I'm glad upon second reading you 'got' my point. I didn't respond to your first response because it was obvious to me you read thru my post too fast. No harm done and we all still love you!!!

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 11 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]440065[/snapback]</div>
    Ta ever so, ducky, for being so understanding! :blink: OTOH...your "all" is DEFINITELY stretching it...but we won't name names here, will we? (Not to mention, although I AM mentioning it...do, please, note the time on the earlier post!)

While pouting, I reckon I DID know (or, at least figured out) you had tongue firmly in cheek! Now, if only I can remember "LoCal"!

However, I cannot promise, should I happen upon a good catfight, I won't at least TRY to sell tickets... B)

My parents have been antique dealers since about 1970. They did lots of antique shows. I learned young that antique dealers are either crazy or gay. My parents are crazy...I think. We occasionally wonder about dad. (Both of my parental units are appraisers on Antiques Roadshow, and have been since it started up on "this side of the pond..." :eek: )