1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Close encounter...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Jun 1, 2007.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Last night I was traveling along at 7:30 p.m., cruise control set at 52 mph, when a stray dog the size of a dalmatian suddenly crossed the road. No time to brake, only to brace for the impact. The damage (attached photo) has been estimated at $1,700. :mellow:

[attachmentid=8434]

Attached Files:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh no, ouch! that really bashed the front in, didn't it?

you've had some unfortunate luck with your car, j :(

3. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I bet the dog was damaged too!

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Aww, I'm sorry. Sometimes there's nothing you can do.

5. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

You can fix the car, but not the dog!

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Poor dog.

7. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Poor dog...I hope I never hit an animal; I'd feel bad forever...about the animal, not just the damage to my car. :(

8. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes that's a very unfortunate incident. Your car damage is expensive and an inconvenience, the stray is probably dead. I had an incident a long time back when a German Shepard just appeared in front of my quickly traveling Saab, there was nothing I could do. There was car damage, but the worst part was we made eye contact that seemed like forever. The car damage was fixed, but I'm still haunted by the hopelessness of the situation today.

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 1 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]453447[/snapback]</div>

It looks like a wire is hanging down, so there's probably more than damage to just the bumper. Possibly also damage to the A/C lines. Get a second quote anyway.

The bumper damage looks similar to that on mine when it was "attacked" by a large rock in a parking lot while my wife was driving.

Dave M.

10. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 1 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]453447[/snapback]</div>
    I am curious, at that speed and the damage to the front, did any of your air bags deploy?

11. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was involved in an incident just last week, while driving a Civic GX.

Traveling at the speed limit on an Interstate, 65 mph, I spotted a deer entering the roadway from the right. I immediately got on the brakes hard. My training in handling deer kicked in: when you spot one deer, expect more than one! The first deer moved out of my lane, but I continued braking. Two more deer darted out into the road. I would have hit the second one. My speed dropped to maybe 5 mph, so I pulled over onto the shoulder to avoid being rear-ended.

I ride a motorcycle, and I live in an area with a high population of deer.

By the way, I also avoided hitting a dog while riding my motorcycle a few years back. The dog ran across an Interstate. I slowed, and got right in the center, between lanes. This was to give me the most choices of where to go. The dog came out, stopped and turned around. I swerved towards the dog's rear end, missing him to his rear. Animals can stop and reverse course, but they usually run forward and never backward, so missing to an animals' rear makes more sense.

Also, there are times when swerving makes more sense than stopping. With 3 deer, it made more sense to stop. With one dog, it made more sense to swerve.

Keep your wits about you and consider all your options. Make sure you scan for animals while you drive.

Sorry about your mishap.

Harry

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was attacked by a stray freeway tire tread, and had very similar damage, though more to the passenger side. New bumper, foglight, lower grill and airdam, plus repaint of pass. door. $1300 later you would never know the damage. It was two weeks, 1200 miles from new. At least no animals were involved, but I'd say the tire tread won my battle! The Prius is so low, I dont think anything bigger than a small rodent would fit under it. Too bad, but the Prius is easily fixable.

13. mpt33905

mpt33905 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW! That sure seems like a very reasonable repair! Someone backed into my hood and left no information. Small (2.5) elipitical dent in fender and dent next to hood decal... $852....

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The dangling blue chord is a temporary fix because the hood would only lock to its first stop. The hood was tied like this so that I could drive home. The car's being fixed at this time.

I did make eye contact with the dog, he looked at me a fraction of a second before being hit. Also, as you can see from the photograph, the bumper deformed into a sort of the basket- the dog was trapped there for about five seconds, before exiting through the rear of the car. I hear it hit the underside three times and then saw it tumbling in my rear view mirror. I am cutting back on night driving. :blink:

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always thought my white Prius looked like it was smiling.

Rightfully so, your Prius' face looks like it's been socked in the jaw . . . giving off a look of pain.