1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Closed Minds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by andyprius, Nov 11, 2011.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dropped by my local Toyota today and saw four people heavy in conference with electrodes in hand, noticing a small charger on the other end of the electrodes, I asked them if they were looking for the battery charging contacts. They nodded and I relented and devulged this very top secret information. It seems they had to open the trunk to clean the interior AND the battery was empty. Two days later I drop by again to pick up a waterpump belt and the same new car is still sitting in the showroom with the hatch up! I thought that is bad for the battery. No hatch lights, no door lights. So I talked to one of the tech writers that was closest. It seems that they do this deliberately ( leave the car with a dead 12V battery) so people cannot get electrocuted! I explained to him that probably this battery is now totally useless! he said, "oh we will just charge it up" So should you buy a new Prius from Roseville Toyota, be aware that the 12V battery may be totally useless, or very much depleted before a year is up. They have no concept of the damage they are are doing. Now I realize why my new 2005 had to have a new 12V in about 9 months. Of course at the time, I was warned of "my" possibly abusing the 12 volt battery. It apparently has NEVER occured to them to simply disconnect the HV switch and the Neg lead on the 12V. :mad:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Isn't Auburn known to be better? I guess it doesn't matter if you are just going in for parts.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I get my work done at Magnusson Toyota in Auburn. They were the only ones who knew that a transaxle fluid change was a 1/2hr job. The other monkeys were trying to charge me $300 like they do for the Tacoma s. I never had a problem with Folsom Lake Toyota (where I bought my car).

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is sad to think that such ignorance can be found at a Toyota dealership, 11 years after the start of US Prius sales. However if this was an ongoing problem you would think that TMS USA would notice the Prius 12V battery warranty claims coming from this dealer, and take action...

BTW it is not necessary to disconnect the traction battery switch, just disconnecting the negative lead on the 12V battery would be sufficient. I would not want to encourage tampering with the switch since 1) it would probably get lost and 2) whoever is reinstalling it would forget to slide the switch down after pivoting the lever 90 degrees.

3 people like this.
  6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is Roseville Toyota at the the Roseville Auto Mall. And of course I cannot assume they do this on every showroom car. Incidently the Tech writer made the assumption that the 12V was a lead acid battery while also stating that there had been NO improvements in batteries over the years. I did not bother educating him on either count. As I said closed minds! So, now to go change my water pump belt. :cheer2:

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are correct on both counts Pat ( as usual ) :cheer2:

8. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is all so true , but these turkeys don't take time to read Prius chat!!! So what should we expect!

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You know, it is possible we 'blame the victim', the owner may have had his 12 volt battery damaged before the poor sod ever took possession. For those of you wondering 'why did my battery only last 3 years and that guy on PriusChat made it 9 years' this can be some of the problem.

But we will go on claiming you left the door ajar, we are like that. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Roseville Toyota is owned bye the John L Sullivan Auto Group. He has
    Chevrolet
    Saturn? (His website still claims that)
    Toyota
    Scion
    Dodge
    Chrysler.
    Dealerships in the mall.

He is an old time car dealer. I'll let you figure out what that means.

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had Roseville Toyota do the Inverter cooling pump recall on my car. No problems with that procedure. I won't take my car to Maita where I bought it because they lied about doing alignment work.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But where are people supposed to get "electrocuted" with a working 12 volt battery?
    The only that that works without the fob in the car are the lights?
    Like any other car.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep I've been thinking the same thing Ed. The whole premise of protecting people from being electrocuted doesn't even make sense to me. :confused:

14. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Electrocution risk: perhaps to reinforce the mystique to shoppers that the dealer is the only place qualified to work on a Prius.