1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cloth Diapering

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by massparanoia, May 6, 2012.

1. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,

So my wife and I have a bun in the oven :preggers:(our first) and we are thinking of using cloth diapers. Since this forum is full of tree huggers :D I wanted to see if anybody else has used them and what their experience was and what brands they used.

We have looked into the "bum genius" 4.0 diapers and they seem to be pretty nice, and the fact that they have snap closures means they can grow with the baby which is cool too.

Also what inserts have you used? We have looked at the hemp ones, thirsties was the brand I think.

Thanks for your imput!

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congratulations! Good luck with everything.

You use a lot of water and detergent washing cloth diapers, and because they aren't very absorbent, you'll use a lot more cloth diapers than disposable, and there can be more diaper rash with cloth.

One thing we did do was make our own baby food from organic produce. The stuff in jars has to be boiled severely because they have to be absolutely certain that no listeria or botulism can be in the jar. That's why baby food in a jar tastes so awful. All you need is the veggies and a food processor. It's easy to sweeten vegetables by mixing in some apples, that's what we do when we make vegetable juice.

1 person likes this.
  3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah we looked into making our own baby food too. We have a food processor already so I think we will do that.

I was doing some reading about making your own laundry detergent. Do you think that using disposables will be cheaper than cloth? They seem so expensive.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These guys Maine Cloth Diaper Company are local to me, and have a great reputation, my currently-diapered nieces and nephews all use them.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations massp! We went conventional ourselves. Since our guys had food allergies it was probably a good thing... barrff.

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By conventional, did you mean flat cloth diapers rather than these new-fangled things? Or did you mean land-fill fodder.

7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Congrats! :yo: :thumb: :cheer2: :rockon: :D

Try a long hose, vinyl furniture, linoleum floors and no diapers. Save a lot of time and money!

1 person likes this.
  8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    landfill fodder.