1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cloudy INSIDE low beam lens

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cynthia Rea Clute, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Cynthia Rea Clute

Cynthia Rea Clute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all I'm new, and just bought a 2010 Prius. I discover that the "lens" of the passenger side low beams is milky/cloudy, and the light from that bulb is quite dim. I'm not talking about the plastic on the outside getting cloudy, but the round (glass?) lens on the inside. I've replaced the bulb, but I believe the light from that side is still significantly dimmer. The contrast with the driver side lens is dramatic. Driver's side is crystal clear. Any idea if the lens is just dirty? How it got dirty? How to clean it? Or is it maybe plastic and has gotten discolored for some reason ? I've looked up dozens of YouTube videos, but they all talk about the plastic outer cover, not the inner lens. The seal around the bulb housing is intact. I am considering whether at some point in the past both headlights had this issue, and the previous owner might have replaced the entire drivers driver's side headlight assembly, but not the passenger side's.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    no idea, but our resident 2010 expert @Mendel Leisk might or might not have some experience with the headlights.

all the best!(y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe. Or regularly parked in full sun with drivers side to the south*, passenger side more shaded, and accordingly drivers side incurred more UV (ultra violet) light damage, culminated in replacement? Or drivers side was replaced due to accident?

I think there are aftermarket headlight assemblies that come in a lot cheaper than genuine Toyota. Go in with your eyes wide open, read the reviews, might be worthwhile to replace the pair. As long as labour charge doesn’t get out of hand.

I can’t resist bemoaning the good ol’ days, of $20 glass sealed beams. :(

* “North” for our south of the equator brethren.

bisco likes this.