1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clueless NYT reporter manages to get stranded in Model S

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lensovet, Feb 10, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sigh... not this again. Please post reputable sources of this.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bryan's Tesla Model S - YouTube

cycledrum likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...No she has been taking a lot of incoming accusations because her husband was let go from Tesla last summer. But I know nothing about that, I just find her views refreshing. She is helping with Leaf sales now.

Last weekend my wife and I finally watched Revenge of the EV, and I thought it was really well done. Now I will finally try to watch Who Killed the EV, as Ms. Sexton is apparently in that.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are millions of people who have never driven more than 100 miles on a trip. I think the market for EVs is pretty large already, especially for home owners that already have a fueling station in the convience of their own garage.

lensovet, Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . Snip. . .
    You missed some of the most important questions contrasting EV's / ICE.
    - Are phony /lunatic dictators set up in far away countries just so we can control their electricity?
    - when the phony dictators murder their own citizens to stay in power - is it so we can get get more of their electricity?
    - when other countries fly airplanes into our buildings - killing thousands - is it because we are controlling their electricity?
    - do we need a trillion dollar military (deficit) to protect our interests in their electricity?
    Apparently some will always keep defending a dishonest reporter, and bashing EV'S - even as ev's continue to get better and better and cheep oil acquisition gets worse and worse. Hopefully it won't be some of your family members that have to jump out of a 100 story building on fire, before you realize a little sacrifice ain't a bad thing. To tell you the truth - it really sounds pathetic to keep on hearing how "I'm not going to get an ev until it goes 500 miles and charges in 5 minutes". Thank goodness there is hope for people like that. It wasn't too long ago some of us (including me that) used to say "I've got a right to drive the lowest mpg - largest SUV that I can afford". These kinds of "rights" today are other's burdens tomorrow. At the core I guess that's what bugs me most about defending this dishonest reporter ... this whole thing of "oh no - oh no I might be inconvenienced by EV's" ... yes boo hoo we have it so tough. geez.

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perfect.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exaggeration is a common greenwashing technique. Those attempting to undermine blow numbers out of proportion with the hope that you'll quickly dismiss the topic, rather than taking a moment to realize how weak the argument actually is.

Thankfully, Prius PHV is well positioned to deal with that. Since the plug-in feature is just an upgrade option rather than an entirely separate vehicle, the opportunity for further consideration is quite realistic... even when the online nonsense persists. The rhetoric won't do much to prevent closer looks at the dealership. In fact, negative attention typically stirs curiosity.

Despite not being able to meet the extreme criteria some claim is required, being a reasonably affordable package choice and not requiring anything other than an ordinary household outlet for recharging will give people reason for consideration. The test-drive experience melts away doubt.

People will just forget that greenwashing in the end. Realistic criteria wins. We've seen problems of the past fade away as those making the absurd claims mysteriously discover they're outnumbered by practical-minded consumers. Remember how some claimed gas would have to get considerably higher than $4 per gallon for people to consider downsizing. They certainly were wrong about that.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think her husband has much to do with her current views, but let's face it, if you are pushing the leaf you want to say road trips are not important. People that want to do those are going to go for a phev or a tesla, not a leaf. She is a founder of plug in America, and here is their view.
    EVs and the Social Era | Plug In America

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Model S has everything I would like in a car - seats 5, very good cargo room, big fun to drive, advanced tech/zero emissions. I'm just far out of that price range, but it will get better with time.

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No doubt, but they are going to be hesitant to use their bus money as a down payment on a Tesla.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but I could see furloughing the chaufer and driving a Telsa instead.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh... all those millions. I can see them now, happily sitting at dunkin' donuts while their cars recharge.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    John Hatchett likes this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like Sullivan is still standing on ceremony.

If Broder looks like a duck, walks like a duck, smells like a duck and talks like a duck guess what he is a duck.

I'm waiting for a NY Times retraction and public apology from Broder. It will never happen.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice! a new Verb came out of this!
    broder (verb) - to purposely or with willful ignorance run down the battery pack of an electric vehicle to the point that it no longer moves the vehicle. Note: This is an extreme form of turtling an electric vehicle that is either a planned act or involves extreme negligence or outright idiocy to accomplish. New EV Dictionary - broder (verb) | Forums | Tesla Motors
    Brodering – "running out of power due to human error, or generally dropping the ball when dealing with electric cars" – along the way.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It just sounded like the NYT acknologed that Broder created the situation. But they chose to believe it was ignorance and bad judgement, not on purpose. It sounds like she was just cya on the statement. Sulivan agreed with the tesla drivers on all the important points.

Today the LA Times covered it as
    NYT editor: problems in precision, judgment not integrity of Tesla test - latimes.com

Musk accepted Sulivan's apology on twitter - although I didn't read it as an apology, only a retraction of the blame in the article from the cars and network to broder for the tow, and an agreement that tesla's logs showed broder didn't drive the way he claimed.

Tesla's stock is way up on the retraction.

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to love the irony here.
    We're talking about the NYT ! :eek:
    "All the news that fits...we print!"

Say just one bad thing about EV's though, and their readership is all over them like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat. Zero to 430 posts in less than 20 days.
    I'll say one thing.
    The EV community sure is....uh..."vocal." ;)
    I can't help but wonder why one of the most liberal papers in the country would target Tesla on range accuracy and leave things like government subsidies and loans supporting a purely upper crust product wither on the vine?
    I remember one time I reminded a Southern Baptist preacher that Jesus' first public miracle was playing bartender at a wedding.
    Same kinda reaction. :D

I, for one, would like to see EVs get their shot...and I don't have any real heartburn with government spending on both sides of the Tesla transaction.
    I get the fact that sometimes governments role is playing economic midwife for emerging technologies. Trickle-down works for technology as well as economics, or I wouldn't have spent 20 minutes in Sam's club yesterday playing with a $340, 7.9" i-Thingy that has capabilities unheard of just a decade ago.

I'm thinking that if the EV community used LIGHT instead of HEAT to illuminate their cause, then they might get a...(*) "warmer" reception by the poor dolts in America who aren't on fire to see an L5 charging station on every street corner.

...just a thought. :)