1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clueless NYT reporter manages to get stranded in Model S

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lensovet, Feb 10, 2013.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect every vehicle manufacturer is asking their engineering staff if they can instrument their media vehicles.

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After that fiasco can you blame them. This Broder guy left unchecked can do some damage.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup. I don't see why any manufacturer wouldn't install this tracking ability. Not only did Broder breach the ethics of journalism but he got away with it too. That's the part that upsets me. The data is right there and yet Broder is able to word smith his way around it. Did you read Alex Dykes article on batteries? I don't think the average driver cares enough to go into that kind of depth to understand the technology. "Batteries have lousy range." Case closed.

4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The real question is, does the NY Times Editor have any integrity? If he does he will demote Broder to the classifieds dept. He can author the apartments fo rent section.

Broder broke the cardinal rule. He lied. In the process he hurt real people. You just don't do that.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The whole reason we have forums like this is to make sure smart folks don't get mislead. As for those that want to be mislead, nothing anyone writes good or bad will change their mind. Not too long ago, a neighbor wondered why we owned Prius's when they had such a bad problem with uncontrolled acceleration. It didn't even cause me to respond.

The whole result of this affair is 1) Those that are determined to be obtuse about electric cars have another faulty article to rely upon and 2) Those that care about electric cars realize that Rapid Charging stations exist in critical locations and very long trips in a Telsa (with others to follow) can be accomplished with planning.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No doubt if they ever prove conclusively that the EMF from lithium-ion batteries cause irreversible brain damage, you will see JMD and I fighting with our last breath as we sink and die with the EV ship. Similarly, Broder and his ilk will continue to puff away harmful pollutants driving attached to OPEC's umbilical pipeline of oil while the rest of the world whirs along on a sustainable electric future.

The extremists on both sides won't be swayed by little things like facts or integrity. But those in the middle like my wife whom gives sod all about gas or electric are easier to persuade. She just likes things that are familiar. If its new, it has to better enough to be worth the change. She is the type of person that can be influenced by incidents like this.

lensovet likes this.
  7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This Tesla testimonial of a 3,000 mile trip not a hitch and zero cost

Timeline Photos

mmmodem likes this.
  8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    !

John Hatchett likes this.
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Already posted!

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    JMD likes this.
  13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

why wouldnt he be employed? thats ridiculous statement.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He offended the EVangelists.

Broder drove the S like a clueless consumer which is a good approximation of the average car owner.

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is my opinion. He published a false report, made inaccurate claims, did not follow instructions, on puropse tried to run the battery down, than blamed the car, and made some media sensation photo of the car getting towed away. He was never impartial or inbiased the position of a Journalist. His actions deflated the stock and real people investors were hurt. Not to mention he tried to harm the company Tesla and deflate it's main product and it's reputation which harms investors and the Company. That is a good start. If given time I'm sure I can come up with a few more.

austingreen and Sergiospl like this.
  16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't doubt that he colluded with some fellow "journalists" to manipulate short term stock prices for personal gain. When I saw Henry Blodget come to his defense, the motives became a bit more apparent.

JMD likes this.
  17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't think he would get fired, but if NYT were to hold up their old standards he should have gotten severely disciplined. The article was and embarrassment to the paper, as it was covered as news article instead of a work of fiction. At least the editor when she looked into the story admitted that there were many inaccuracies. It is a sad state of one of the most respected newspapers, to have an article like that. What was worse as some journalists accused tesla of tricking broder into exaggerating because they did not tell him that they had logs documenting the story.

As the editor said in her partial retraction, the tow truck was in her opinion needed because of poor judgement on border's part, but she did include the opinion of one reader that Broder under filled on purpose and not because he didn't have the judgement of a 10 year old to not leave a fueling station without enough fuel. OK that 10 year old comment was mine. She did say that we could not tell from the facts which opion is right. Now if you were running a newspaper would you want a reporter that exercised extremely poor judgment and lack of basic knowledge of cars to review them? I don't think he will be given similar assignments.

This is the most readers Broder has probably ever gotten to read his column. IMHO it was pure sensationalism. I agree he is better suited to report for TMZ than the NYT, but the times is getting more like tmz, and I'm sure this crap helps drive advertising dollars. It is really sad. Maybe the most trusted news source will continue to be given by a fake newsman on comedy central.

lensovet and JMD like this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I was the SEC I would see what his options positions was at that time. Perhaps a start is when a very influencial Newspaper Journalist writes an article that includes a company or companies product they need to disclose any conflicts of interest or positions.

19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If Broder is stupid enough to have his own positions on Tesla when writing a article that would work. The most likely scenario is a journalistic conspirator, like a Henry Blodget, taking the Tesla position in anticipation of the publish date for the article. The SEC would need to look at short positions taken in advance of the publish date and determine if there are any apparent connections with the NYT staff or Broder. I doubt that the position would be large enough to attract the SEC under normal trading activity, maybe less than a $1m gain, but a NYT journalist needs to pay bills like everyone else. This type of activity is fairly hard to prosecute but exposing the bad actors is refreshing when it does happen.

Complaint: Henry Mckelvey Blodget

JMD likes this.
  20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Emotional panic selling is an opportunity for everyone to pick up a bargain. Tesla wasn't the first and it won't be the last. There's a Fortune 500 company that was driven from 58 to 42.

lensovet likes this.