1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunk when I brake

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ncases, Jul 15, 2015.

1. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Brought mine to the dealership they can't find the knocking noise. I asked the technician to Test drove it but still can't find the problem. Technician on the passenger side and we test drove it. He was able to hear it, but can't confirm if its coming from the pads or rotors. Its pretty anoying when driving at night when the roads are quiet. You can hear it even with windows close.

#1 ncases, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think it's that common, i just think it's the actuator. getting them to replace it will be difficult because you're out of warranty, and they're not going to want to pay for it since there's no trouble code and the brakes are otherwise 'fine'. you can sit in some new ones with the service manager and see what he thinks.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    are you still under warranty?

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've noticed there is usually a clunk the first time I brake in a new direction. I attribute this to the pads/components sliding slightly in the mechanism. For example, when I back out of the garage, I get a clunk the first time I apply the brakes after moving in reverse. The same applies the next time I apply the brakes after moving forward. I don't consider it a big deal.

5. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still under warranty. It comes and goes when braking slightly putting pressure on the pedal.