1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunker tax question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jdnow09, Feb 2, 2010.

1. jdnow09

jdnow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

Last year I purchased a car through the clunker program. Originally, my dealer taxed me on the $4500 but then I show him an article that I printed and they reversed the entry.

Anyways, on the sales contract, the dealer still list the 4500 on F. Other.

So in doing the Federal tax for 2009, I was asked what was my price before tax. I took the cash price from category 1 Total Cash price and subtracted the 4500. Does this sound right?

For some reason, category F Sales Tax does seem to reflect the 4500 taken off.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

On the C4C program there was an upper limit on the price of the purchased vehicle I believe. I think it was right around $40000 iirc. The reason for the question on that form ( I'm guessing here since I didn't buy a vehicle during the program ) is to make certain that the purchase price is not above this limt.

The purchase price is the price of the vehicle that you negotiated with the dealer on the new vehicle alone, it's not the net price after rebates, or cash down payment or the $4500 trade allowance. Ig nore these last 3 items and look at the top line of your Buyer's Order. If it was a Prius then you have no problem. All Prius' were within the price limit.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you are trying to deduct the sales tax on your Federal return (as you should). The price I would put for my clients (I am a CPA and tax accountant) is the sales tax paid divided by the sales tax rate. In other words, yes, I would subtract the 4500 unless sales tax was paid on it. consult your tax advisor :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would assume whatever sales tax amount was charged on the invoice is the deduction. I could be wrong.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Up to the 49M or so limit, yes, Jim. But there is a disclosure in the return of the purchase price, so IRS can see that said limit was applied (they don't know the sales tax rate).

6. jdnow09

jdnow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes you are correct. Go GAAP/GAAS :).

tony

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is the purchase price + $55 doc. fees (in California, might be different in other states).