1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunking noise from suspension area

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by devin_d123, Mar 31, 2021.

1. devin_d123

devin_d123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A few months ago I noticed a clunking noise coming from under the car when driving at lower speeds over uneven pavement or bumps. I don't hear anything when driving at higher speeds. Today I rocked the car on all 4 ends to isolate the noise. It's coming from the suspension area next to the wheel on the front end passenger side. Any feedback on what's wrong and how urgent it is to fix it would be much appreciated. Here's a video of the noise it made when I rocked the car:

#1 devin_d123, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you probably need new bushings, not urgent. look around for a suspension shop.

3. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You really need to raise the car and start grabbing parts to see what has play. Sway bar links would be my first stop since they're cheap and knock like that when they're worn. It could be a lot of things though. You need to dig a little deeper. That video isn't going to help with a definitive diagnosis.

Fostel likes this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Stabilizer links

5. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sway bar links aka stabilizer links aka stab links. Sways bar bushings while you're at it. Cheap and easy.

6. wingfeathers

wingfeathers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it helps future visitors to this discussion, I had a similar issue which I was finally able to resolve! I had the vehicle inspected by technicians twice, who couldn't find anything loose with the suspension or steering. I poked around and found two possible sources: the plastic wheel well liners and the heat shield towards the front of the cat. Each of these items were slightly loose when I pushed on them. I placed some rubber padding between the liners, and for the heat shield I installed new fasteners. My clunk is gone. Hope this helps someone!

Paul E. Highway likes this.
  7. wingfeathers

wingfeathers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to add, it could also be sway bar links. I noticed the rubber boots on mine were torn. Check those if the above post didn't help

8. America964

America964 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a clunking noise. Mechanic said it was the shocks and he couldn't do right away so I bought front and rears and did the job myself. Noise still there so I replaced the sway bar bushings, clunk still there. The sway bar links looks in great shape, but think that might be the only thing left I haven't tried. The clunking noise sounds like a dribble and at higher speeds the noise goes away. Any other source of the noise. Ordering the links now

9. Canada 509

Canada 509 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I got exactly same issues (noise on small bumps only)and exactly same steps to fix it. How did you end up? Was it sway bars?

#9 Canada 509, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2023
  10. AdRoc

AdRoc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Also suffering from this hell, did this fix it?