1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunking noises after Strut replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nicholas, May 17, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had my friend of mine who is a mechanic change my struts out this weekend. I had clunking noises from the right strut Toyota and also a tire place said I needed new struts. So I got them replaced now both sides are clunking see the YouTube video.

Tips ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the odometer?

Did your friend replace the top strut mount on both sides? That is a wear part because it has to pivot as the front suspension moves up and down.

Who is the manufacturer of the replacement struts?

Does your friend have an opinion about what is loose? If not, I suggest you check the front sway bar rubber bushings which may be worn.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five

He says they are OEM replacement struts I don't remember the brand.

He said he didn't replace the mount I wonder if it's that ugh.....

I will just take it to Toyota of Des Moines and see what they say. Hopefully it's just a cheap fix they can do right there while I am waiting in the waiting room.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OEM is KYB, which is a good brand.

If the noise is getting worse, not better, that is certainly not reassuring. Probably a good idea to have your local dealer check out the front suspension to see what the problem is.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have $5 on the original front strut mounts, with 173,000 miles, causing the "cluncking" noise.
    This is too funny and screams the old adage: penny wise, pound foolish.

Foreshadowing tidbits from KYB: KYB Americas | All about strut mounts
    • A strut mount is like a sandwich. One side bolts to the vehicle, the other side to the strut. In the middle is a rubber-like insulating material. So as the vehicle moves and goes over bumps, the up & down impact pushes and pulls at the mount. The mount’s job is to cushion the impacts to reduce the jarring effect, noise and vibration that could transmit into the vehicle.
    • Why replace it?
      There are two main reasons; age changes the density of the insulating material so more noise and vibration can be transmitted into the vehicle and the bearing portion of the mount wears.
    • When to replace them?
      A simple rule of thumb is that if the struts or coil springs are being replaced because of age or wear, then also replace the mounts. A worn or damaged mount can cause a variety of symptoms so they should be inspected by a qualified technician. Disassembly of the entire strut & spring assembly is required to remove & replace the mount. Therefore replacing all worn components at the same time could save you from doing the work a second time.
    • How to tell if the mount is worn. Drivability symptoms may include:
      • Clunking noises
      • Vibration
      • Loose, stiff or noisy steering
      • Tire alignment
      • Tire wear
    If it turns out to be the front strut mounts:
    • Are you sure he's your "friend?" People have few friends, but many acquaintances.
    • Are you sure he's a qualified and licensed mechanic?
      • Violated sound automotive repair practice of not replacing front strut mounts, especially given 173,000 MILES.
    • Feel free to buy Prius Chat a virtual $5 beer; the proceeds would go to their operating expenses.
    • Guessing labor rate for redoing the front sturts will be $350-$500 range; due to a $57-$68 part per strut.
    • In you future you won't make this mistake again, and will replace the "wear" items so you are charged labor only once.
    KYB SM5215 (front strut mount), from $57.05 on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: Buying Choices: KYB SM5215 Strut mount

Toyota 4860913010 (front strut mount), $67.99, at Camelback Toyota online.
    2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

#5 exstudent, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone! I am having him work on it Thursday again...
    I took it to Toyota they were a pain you know what they suck now since they moved to the new Grimes location.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks you all! It was the strut mounts replaced those and ride is so much better!

Good for another time... It still drives like it was new.