1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CM gone bad on 08 prius please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jojo9213, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jojo9213

Jojo9213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hello all

I am new to sign up for prius chat however ive been relying on it for info since I bought a 2008 prius about 3 months ago. It has 182K miles about 3 weeks ago my CM went out ive done all the tricks w the 12v battery etc nun of it works anymore. Im poor so i cant pay 500-900 at a toyota dealer to fix it and it is NOT coverd under warrenty i checked. I ran out of gas once ever since ive been ok. Question is will this CM issue effect anything else while driving? I have GPS that tells me my speed. Or could it block out other importent lights that could need attention? My Hybrid battery seems OK. Please help I can not afford to lose my car then my job, house etc. Thank u all

2. Jojo9213

Jojo9213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all i just signed up today i have a 2008 prius 183k miles bought a month ago. My CM went 2 days after i purchased it for 3k ive tried all 12v tricks and called dealer it is not coverd. Ive since been driving but my question is will i be able to see other warnings through the MFD if its serious? For example i ran out of gas once and it showed a red car symbol on my MFD or will it not show at all then i cause more damage? I just dont have the 500+ to fix at the moment but still need to use for daily commute . any help is appreciated thank u all and to all a good day -joe

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    maybe find a junk yard with a Prius and remove their screen and put it in yours... It's likely the lowest cost solution and dangerous to drive without it?

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Combination meters are rebuilt, programmed with your mileage and shipped to you for something like $75. You need to install it yourself. And I believe there is a core charge of $75, which you get back once you return your broken one. I believe the outfit is Texas Hybrids. Do a search. They are reputable and have helped many folks with this service.

Other than that, you can keep estimate of your gas in the MFD. Fill up the tank, zero out the consumption screen so the average starts accumulating fresh with the new tank. Then around 400 miles keep an eye on it. I usually take the average MPG subtract 4 (to be conservative) and multiply the result by 10 (gallons). the result is your conservatively estimated range. I get between 400 and 500 miles per tank depending on weather and use of things like AC and heat.

Good luck!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p wants to know if all the dash warning lights will still work if something breaks.

VFerdman likes this.