1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNET review of Mitsubishi i-Miev

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by cwerdna, Apr 2, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

1 person likes this.
  2. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also think this car is a game changer. If you need a daily driver around town this may be it. Price/size/basic car features...

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If my arithmetic is correct, 85% DoD is allowed.

Mitsu's corporate history is nothing to be proud of; in fact I'd call her the GM of Japan. If I buy EV, the LEAF is an easy choice over this car.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what is the most important how many energy it wil cost to get from A to B
    this car uses less then the leaf and therefor is better.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would just take a Leaf a million times over this thing. It's a better car and, importantly, doesn't look absolutely hilarious :)

6. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ughhhhh!! Now that's a car I wouldn't drive even if you gave it to me for free! That is a difinite death trap! :boom:

7. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Miev battery technology is better...ok, it's a little ugly. Leaf is definately more of a highway car, but who is going to use an EV on a long highway trip? For what it is, a city car, the Miev is better because it is more efficient.

From here on out, I think we're going to see rapid changes in EV technology, kind of like Moore's law in computers.

At the NY Auto Show, it seems like all manufacturers are racing to put out an EV,...next year...two year... but there are really only two NOW...the Leaf and the Miev. One prices out to $35k, and the other at $22k with incentives. Which one are people going to buy?

I think it is a mistake that EV makers right now are not exactly designing their cars to make it easy to upgrade to a better battery or improved software after two or three years. A car's technology will be outdated in 18 months.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Box office bomb. Seemed very chintzy inside.

haven't they sold only 80 across the US in several months so far. :rolleyes:

9. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It looks too much like those GEM electric cars. For 32K price tag, it is too much to pay for a glorified golf car. I'd take the leaf over this. Now if they price it 6K less then i'd be interested.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CNET video is well done. And this seems to clearly be a small city car that you would not be comfortable with on the highway. I was hoping for a little more. Also is more expensive than I was thinking.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    March 2012 Dashboard | Hybrid Cars
    136 in the first 3 months of this year. 80 last December when they launched in the US.

I can't image it will do well here, but it has sold in good numbers in japan.

12. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tested this thing today and liked it well enough, but my Leaf was WAY better equipped for the price. The things that really stuck out to me were the 1990's style instrument cluster, the lack of cruise control option, inability to lease and the price tag. What I did like was the simplicity of the thing. To me, the "golf cart" aspect is actually a plus since the system components are simple and laid out nicely. Also, I think the rear wheel drive motor placement was kind of cool.

All the same, I will most likely opt for another Leaf for our second car. As has been mentioned, the i-Miev needs to be about $6K less to be taken seriously, but it certainly shouldn't be written off. After all, the Gem has limited speed and no L3 option.

13. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In what way? Equipping an iMiEV with the major options of the base Leaf brings it within $500. If it's features you want, then getting the larger Leaf with better rated range is a deal. The iMiEV does have a quick charger with that package. For that on the Leaf, it appears you have to upgrade to the higher trim for $2000 more.

The base iMiEV does have everything I consider needs in a commuter car for $6000 less than a Leaf. Nissan forces options on you with the base Leaf that mostly to increase profits. Yes, the Leaf is the better buy when similarly equipped, but the iMiEV sneaks under $30k. It's the Prius c of EVs, and opens the market up to more people.

Like power windows, cruise control has become an expected standard feature, but let's be real here. We are talking about EVs that won't be going on extended highway cruises. My commute is 30 miles, on some highway, and a little under an hour. I could use cruise, but i don't, and never a need to as when doing the 600 mile trek to my parents. Between the route and traffic, those that can make an EV work for their commute, probably will use cruise as often as I do. As a con, it's weak for the car's majority use. The lack of split folding rear seat on the Prius c one is a bigger issue than the lack of cruise.

That's like saying the Focus EV needs to only be a couple grand more than the ICE in order to be a success. The costs of the body, suspension, and drive train between an ICE an BEV are going to be close. The component with greatest cost difference is the energy container. One uses a metal or plastic tank that costs around $200 to $300, including the fuel pump. The other uses a bigass battery that costs thousands.

A subcompact ICE car can be bought for around $15k. The only way to lower the iMiEV price while remaining feature competitive is to reduce battery size. How serious would people take it with a 30 to 40 mile EV range? Being $6000 cheaper than the next cheapest BEV is reason enough to take it seriously.

The site is mitsubishisucks.com. I doubt we'll get an unbiased review. I don't even think they sat in the car for that piece.

15. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i Miev w/L3 port is over $31K. If you want a package that includes pretty much everything that the Leaf comes with standard INCLUDING a battery warning system (yes, this is not standard) option, you can add another $2800.00 and you are still getting nothing that could be comparable with the Leaf so far as styling/comfort/handling.

I don't know about this. A $30K car is still somewhat pricey for most urban "commuters" in my opinion. There is nothing about the i Miev that speaks to a $30K price tag. The thing literally feels more like a glorified golf cart than a car. And yes, this statement is from an EV enthusiast.
    Many EV and hybrid enthusiasts also hypermile to some degree. Part of that strategy includes use of cruise control in many environments, not just rural highway travel.
    My perspective on the i Miev is rational and based on not only decades of driving multiple makes and models, but spending considerable amounts of time behind the wheel on a daily basis. My experience as an EV driver tells me that Mitsubishi is going to have a hard time selling the i Miev at its current price point here in the States. The step down in quality, comfort and amenities grossly exceeds the price break when compared to its closet competitor- the Leaf. Alternatively, the step up in value vs. the Gem (for instance) is not sufficient enough to justify the premium.

Well, it isn't as though the auto manufacturers in general have a long florid history of accurately reporting the negative aspects of their products.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    According to the order page, you can add it to the base for $700. Styling/comfort/handling are all subjective, but still viable considerations.
    Highway capability and range speak of its price tag. It isn't highly visible, which is why Ford's CEO 'leaked' that they are expensive. So that it starts sinking in with the public, but as an enthusiast you should already know this.

What is your internal response when people tell you the Leaf needs 200 or 300 mile range for that price? That's basicly my response when hearing the iMiEV needs to be $6000 less. Unless battery leasing or swapping becomes possible here, BEVs are going to have a large price delta to a comparatively equipped ICE for years. It was 8 before Toyota introduced an entry level hybrid after the success of the gen2 Prius.

NEVs are a fine solution, but they have greater limitations than a BEV. My wife's last job was, tops, 3 miles away. Biking was out for health and safety reasons. The town streets had 25 to 30 mph posted speed limit. A NEV should have been perfect. Except, the place of business was on a 4 lane road with a 50 mph limit. She would only be on it for less than a half mile, but the limit regularly exceeded by drivers, and there is only a token shoulder.

Highway capability is the big plus of a BEV. Better safety over a NEV comes with that. They will also tend to have a longer range, but this comes with a higher price tag.

True. Except for the iMiEV, I rarely consider Mitsubishi for a vehicle. I'd look at Suzuki first.

It's just that review wasn't one. It was a rant against the positive spin applied to car's EPA numbers on its own marketing site. Beyond the official EpA figures, there was nothing on the iMiEV. Switch the name and numbers, and you can post it to nissansucks. And it be as just relevant. A well written rant can be entertaining, and maybe even enlightening, but this was just bitter.

17. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EV pricing shall remain high until government incentives go away, and more makes and models are available.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And battery prices come down.