1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coach's test drive of the Volt

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by coach81, Feb 25, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do not propose the Tesla Roadster for the common man. It's an expensive toy for the rich. (Or someone who chooses to live where house prices are 100K less than some other places.) It's a toy, and a showcase for a nation that thinks EVs are golf carts, and a way for a new company to break into the market.

I admit that I am pessimistic about the future. Yes, liquid fuels can be made from air and water, but it takes energy to do that. We have the technology, but we seem to lack the political will. We'd have to either burn LOTS of coal, or build LOTS of nukes, or install LOTS of wind turbines and PV. The first will destroy the environment, the second condemns the future to a radioactive planet, and the third is opposed by very powerful interests. Al three have their advocates, and all three could provide gasoline or gas substitutes for cars. But given the political and demographic realities of the world and the nation, I am not hopeful.

I hope I'm wrong.

John's vision of an ethanol future is going to conflict with food production for an exponentially expanding population.

I advocate renewables, as I think we all do. I'm just not optimistic that we have the political will to make it happen in time.

Mad Max? That vision is more optimistic than I am. :(

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, its not that bad. Upgrade that volt engine to flex fuel M85 & E85 and there is plenty of renewables to supply wind for night charging, and ethanol or alcohol. Its today's technology. This allows natural gas or biomass to be converted to methanol, corn or switch grass or what ever to be converted to ethanol. If the battery can cover 70% of driving, then the alcohol will stretch that gas 20 times:D

30% wind grid and 5% solar allows biomass, biogass, natural gas, and current nuclear and hydro to fill most of the grid. Less coal is needed, and hopefully its burned in IGCC with CCS.:D