1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coal rolling pickup runs from prius after swiping Front quarter

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by lohikaarme, Jun 28, 2020.

1. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    #1 lohikaarme, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    ice9, edthefox5 and bisco like this.
  2. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
  3. vegan

vegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry you encountered such a jerk.
    What camera recorded this?

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It didn't look like you needed to chase him that fast or that far to get pictures of his plate for ID.

Glad you're safe!

5. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    i did not have to chase him at all, but i did and when he went off road and stopped to flip me off like the pussy he was, i was able to get a description of the driver to go along with it. If i need to take him to court now, i suppose i can ID him.

bisco likes this.
  6. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    it is the viofo a129 dual.

Dngrsone likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    viofo a129 dual

I think I'll order one of these for my birthday!!

8. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I recommend a samsung 128 gb endurance mirco sim to go with it. It is designed for continuous video writing and when the a129 fills up, it overrides the oldest video.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bad driver doesn't know the length of his vehicle

Capbanks, krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Capbanks

Capbanks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ALWAYS know where your corners are!!!

bisco and krmcg like this.
  11. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd say you were lucky you didn't get spun around and possibly flipped when he clipped you. You saw him coming up fast from behind and could figure he was going make that aggressive maneuver. Just move over and get out of the way, I wouldn't tangle with a super duty truck in a prius.

Blueeyedme likes this.
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.
    I saw around that corner too, but people, including yours truly, tend to get all "stand your ground" when they are in their car.

In the OP's defense he wasn't the typical left lamer, staking out their claim in the passing lane, as he was actually passing a car when the truck entered the scene stage right and clipped the car.

Interested to see if the Po Po cites them or a "leaving the scene" and/or if the truck pays insurance.
    Make sure you go after them for diminished value!
    Your car, perhaps like the truck driver, now will no longer pass a background check.

..Let us know how it turns out!

13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Bummer man! That sucks.

We were coal rolled *while parked* on the side of the road in Moab, Utah near Moonflower Canyon a couple years back. The jackass did it..and then stopped about 50 yards away..hoping he would get an angry reaction (?). We just waved hello...and he roared off.

In our area we have never been coal rolled...BUT many of these large pickup truck truck drivers certainly are some of the most aggressive drivers on the road. They especially like to tailgate people in the left lane that they deem to be going 'too slow'...even if the vehicle they ae tailgating is well over the speed limit. And I mean tailgate within a couple feet of the bumper in front of them. Dangerous stuff.

14. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    "well over the speed limit" is absolutely not what the left lane is for. It's for passing vehicles. If you're only doing 82 MPH in the passing lane, and have people on your tail, you're doing the entire highway-driving-method America's highways were built for wrong.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  15. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    That argument...is a stretch. Sure, on the freeway. However, this is a highway with stoplights and such. And yes, there will be people in the left lane on roads like this. I just don't get why it always seems to be the punks in some jacked up diesel that are doing the tailgating and generally acting like a-holes. Oh yeah...must be 'compensating' for something...:whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    So I received the police report and spoke to the sheriff today. The sheriff said the guy returned to the scene of the accident to meet up with him after the sheriff left me. As a result of returning, he did not cite him for leaving the scene. The police report does check the “hit and run” box so it is recorded, the kid just did not get a ticket for it. The kid did pick up a passenger during the time he disappeared and told the sheriff both were in the car. It does not matter much because despite what they both say happened, I have the video. The police report does indicate a collision took place and the sheriff said that while the driver denies it, it was clear where the cars made contact. The kid was cited for improper lane changing and the sheriff told him he saw the video. I guess had I not shown that to the sheriff, he may have gotten off without any tickets.

Now the kicker is that apparently it is an uninsured driver. So I will need to make the claim against myself, pay my deductible and then go after him in small claims court. The police report lists his address and phone number, the citation shows he was found at fault, and the video shows what happened so it is pretty opened and closed. GEICO will also attempt to recover the money they are out. There is no way the damage is less than my deductible so GEICO said they would try to recover the full amount of repairs. This will not raise my rates as I am 0% at fault.

The sheriff did recommend I contact the prosecutor who will be arguing for the state on the citation the kid received to share the video and what happened (I guess so that he does not get the ticket dismissed). I already left a message for her and have that underway.

It is amazing the kid was not cited for driving without insurance and that the vehicle drove away (unless that was the point of the passenger).

17. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Several things can be true at once.
    There are some 4-lane "highways" where stop-lights, intersections, business access driveways, etc do not meet the standard for LAWS that say "Keep RIGHT except for passing."

However (comma!) In 29 states, any car traveling slower than surrounding traffic must be in the right lane.
    In 11 states, the laws are even stricter—reserving the left lane only for turning or passing
    Period.
    Full Stop.
    The OP was in the process of passing a slower car in the video, and was clearly not in violation of this normally simple principle, and the low-octane-type in the truck would have been just as much at fault if he would have illegally passed a Prius illegally lumbering along in the PASSING lane at PSL and clipped it.

Me?
    I drive a truck, an SUV, and a Prius....so I have nothing to prove OR compensate for. ;)

Looking at the video, I would have toggled to the right and avoided the accident, but that's me being me.
    Not throwing shade! (except at the truck driver.)
    However (comma!)
    I drive the Prius for a living, and one of my conditions of employment are that I do not get into accidents.
    Nowhere in my terms of employment do they differentiate "at fault" accidents from any other kind....and YES they look at off-the-job accidents too (or at least I'm supposed to report them to my supervisor!!)

My beloved company, in reviewing that video, would have given me three to five days off without pay with a three year service record entry had I been driving their car.....but only because it would be the first offence and I have 21 years with no blemishes on my record.
    My beloved Union would grieve the punishment and MAYBE get one or two of the days off waived.
    If it happened again?
    I'd go to the house without any severance benefits.

THIS is why I do not drive with a camera in my company car! ;)

Life is not fair.
    Insurance companies are kinda like major employers that have folks that drive for them.
    The OP will likely find out someday that ALL accidents get written down....somewhere.
    They might not raise your rates, but whenever you apply for insurance nobody really bothers to ask you how many accidents you've had.
    They just ask for some personal information and permission to look.

Advice:
    It might be time to get an attorney to look at the video and the police report.
    If you live in a small town like I do, the ham-and-egg attorneys all drink coffee with city officials.
    (Just sayin' ;) )
    KEEP AFTER the truck driver in small claims.
    SEEK diminished value and see if Ohio law can attach a monetary damage to the accident beyond the value of the Prius's damage.
    I'm NOT telling you to wear a neck brace or claim PTSD or any of the other goofiness.......just see if there's a "there" there for a now blemished driving history.

So....
    Like all such things, it's a lot easier to judge and BE JUDGED in hindsight, when people have the time to nit-pick over every option.

Real life....works in real time.

Be careful!
    ...and where and IF you can????
    Drive Courteously!!

#17 ETC(SS), Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  18. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Yeah, my reply was to farmecologist's scenario, not to the OP. OP was most certainly passing, and at enough of a good speed on a 4-lane highway that that truck should have waited his turn.

Absolutely @^@#^ sucks about that truck driver not having insurance. I don't understand how there isn't a higher, immediate penalty for proving one is driving recklessly AND has no insurance. I mean, that's very close to having no regard for human life what-so-ever.

In the firearm world, this would have been tantamount to brandishing, or perhaps assault - but because so many people are drivers we allow the law to just smirk and laugh this off. Were we to get serious about it, everyone would see themselves for who they really are. In my mind, a vehicle is just a large bullet, or destructive device, and if someone gets caught on video proving they are threatening other people then it should be an immediate arrest and jail time.

Tande, fuzzy1 and Vman455 like this.
  19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my beloved home state if you cannot provide proof of insurance, you're subject to a $250 fine.
    ...THAT'S if you have insurance but cannot prove it upon demand...although many times the maximum fine is not inposed.

If you drive without insurance you're subject to a $1,000 fine AND/OR revocation of your license for up to a year.

However (comma!) you have to get the various cities, counties, and states to ENFORCE the law practically, and the people who are being asked to enforce these various laws are themselves subjected to being....ah.....de-funded themselves lately.
    So....we the people are left with making sure that we have uninsured motorist insurance coverage, and driving defensively.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  20. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    :eek:

I think I want my pickup truck back in this current environment.