1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coast to coast, self-driving, four fuel stops?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Lee Jay, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do I see this right, that this guy sat in what looks like a Prime and drove from LA to NY, all with self-driving technology, and all the way on four fuel stops?

benagi likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The video was already linked at Prius Autonomous Driving | PriusChat, though for a different topic.

Four fuel stops? Some of the competitive Japanese hypermilers could have done it with just one fuel stop. In a Gen2 :D

hill, walterm, benagi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nurtaj Mostofa

Nurtaj Mostofa New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    This is amazing! self-driving cars look very comfortable.

4. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    googlemaps shows 2900 miles from nyc to LA. with 4 stops (assuming he started with a full tank), that gives him 580 miles per tank which is certainly doable.

I've done NYC to SF before, and it's simply a straight shot down RT 80 (basically cross the Hudson onto rt 80 in NJ and then turn off when you hit the pacific in SF).

that's pretty good self driving technology though. going to LA is more complicated since you have to make a bunch of turns... but you do get to go through las vegas which is always interesting.

I can get from just outside NYC to Cincinatti without stopping for gas (it's almost exactly 600 miles). (NOTE we usually *do* stop though since it's 9 hours and the car isn't the only thing that needs fuel).

walterm, benagi and Merkey like this.